"as American and as an Arab" - College Application

zak55555 1 / -  
Can anyone please give me their opinion on this essay, i know it says rutgers but i meant for it to be a cookie cutter essay, Thanks in advance!!!

I have always looked at the world through two lenses, as American and as an Arab. At a very young age my parents always taught me not to identify with any nationality or race, to always keep a free mind, so I did. When I was twelve my family moved to Morocco. For me the move was a profound experience. I eventually learned the Arabic tongue and ways of the Moroccan people. In the years I lived there I also took courses in French and grew proficient.

My educational experience in the country was also of significant importance to me. I had a privilege to be part of one of the most diverse high schools in the world. A branch of a chain of eighteen schools around the world, the Saudi Arabian Academy of Rabat was a very diverse school. I was immersed in a sea of different nationalities and cultures. My teachers alone were from eight different countries, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and Holland. Not to mention the students. The fact that I didn't really have any group to side with made it easy to get to know others from different backgrounds and to make new friends.

The friendships that I have made in this school continue to be lifelong bonds. I have accompanied a number of my friends to different countries such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Mauritania. These travels have further strengthened my cultural awareness. I have witnessed the huge gaps between the poor and wealthy and the poverty that many of the people of these nations are forced to endure. I have worked to help end the wretched living conditions and to raise awareness of the poverty in our backyards. The Moroccan floods of 2008 were a wakeup call for me; thousands were left homeless after freak rains devastated the northern regions of Morocco. I have worked with the ISNA ever since, organizing food drives, and fundraisers to help the people devastated by the floods and other people around the world.

Rutgers University truly is a vibrant community of people with varied backgrounds and experiences. I hope that given the chance, I can further diversify Rutgers, by showing the importance of not only cultural diversity but also economic diversity as well. The huge differences within different socioeconomic sects are often overshadowed by the more likable cultural norms. Given the chance, I will work to spread understanding of these cultures and to correct the common stereotypical ideas that surround us these days. Rutgers is the best tool to further this understanding. By sharing our cultural values and spreading mutual respect between cultures, I believe that we can all benefit from each other and make the world a smaller and friendlier place.
xlocicero12x 1 / 12  
For me the move was a profound experience. I eventually learned the Arabic tongue and ways of the Moroccan people. In the years I livedDuring my time there I also took courses in French and grew proficientas well .

i dont know if you really need the last sentence, it sound kinda just thrown in there

The Moroccan floods of 2008 were a wakeup call for me; thousands were left homeless after freakunexpected rains devastated the northern regions of Morocco.

Given the chance, I will work to spread understanding of these cultures and to correct the common stereotypical ideas that surround uspeople these days

This is really good and I like what you talked about, the topic was great. but what was the prompt?

Home / Undergraduate / "as American and as an Arab" - College Application