"anger issues" - UC Personal Statement (personal quality, talent, experience)

jchachachavez 1 / -  
Prompt 2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

As a child I always had anger issues, my family would nickname me bilioso, which is Spanish for bilious. Trough my anger I would tend to isolate myself as a way to ease tensions. Within my social exile I would often hide under beds, tables, and any small crevice where I could have solitude, where I played with toys making way for a path for imagination. Through secluding myself I have overcame my anger problems and I have become the positive and creative young man that stands strong today.

I would mostly play with Lego's which have become very popular throughout many years. I remember to this day having a huge yellow bin filled with many different pieces. I would never build what was on the printed label of the box, but craft my own creations and structures. The pieces were building blocks cities I would make every time I removed myself from society. Each city would be differently made, never a repeated creation, each my very own confined utopia. In a matter of hours I witnessed my city grow as I the built structures and buildings. After being pleased with my works I had no sense of anger. This allowed me to control my anger as a small child before I would ever cross the line and do anything unnecessary. I also gained a passion for designing and constructing.

Synthesizing structures as a kid was specifically for fun and enjoyment, however as I have grown I see with secluded myself I obtained a beneficial advantage. I now excel in mathematics because of my early on development of an abstract mind. Also I have a keen eye dealing with the construction of buildings. In my recent years I have become interested in Civil Engineering, not only because of my attachment of the subject but also to give back to the community. A community will not prosper without the help of people who come from its origin.

At a young age I used my over controlled anger and I made an isolated activity that made me become who I am today. As I look back I realize how a simple act of joy has held onto me over many years and has made me decide what major I want to progress in. I once constructed small buildings within my time of removal, but now it has given me the ability to construct a pathway with an assertive decision of my future.

Please Be Harsh!!, Thank you in advance!
As a child I always had anger issues, and my...

family would nickname me bilioso, which is Spanish for "bilious."

typo: Trough

No need for the apostrophe:
Legos

I also gained a passion for designing and construction .---You did a great job here of showing a connection to your aspirations for the future.

Synthesizing structures as a kid was specifically for fun and enjoyment. However, as I grow I see that while secluding myself I obtained a beneficial advantage.

In my recent years I have become interested in Civil Engineering, not only because of my attachment of to the subject but also to give back to the community.

I like that ending a lot!

Home / Undergraduate / "anger issues" - UC Personal Statement (personal quality, talent, experience)