Anorexia: (issue of importance) - Essay E Ut admission

karlayad 3 / 8  
Personal Essay
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Essay:

Anorexia

Anorexia has been an issue for the world as well as for my family for many years. Fortunately, it was not me the one with the problem but two of my family members who were diagnosed with this disease. I have lived around this disease for as long as I can remember. Many may think that this eating disorder is a disease that can be cured by medicine, psychology, and nutrition. Well, my experiences have thought me otherwise. Anorexia is like alcoholism it stays with you for the rest of your life; whether you live a healthy life now or not, anorexia follows you around. It is a disease that one can learn to live with but never goes away completely. I have realized that my interest in medicine has plenty to do with this issue as well as other medical conditions. This problem has gone deep into my mind and my heart, which is why I am choosing this topic to explain to everyone around me how to cope with it, learn about it, and prevent it.

Anorexia nervosa as medicine calls it is an obsessive disease in which the individual stops eating to maintain a certain weight. This disease leads to the lack of the nutrients and energy the body needs to be healthy, which eventually leads to other severe diseases. This disease can be highly heritable. Anorexia can not only affect your children as they grow up to have this heritage but it can also lead to prenatal problems; your child can be born with diabetes, anemia, and other serious disorders as he or she is born. Anorexia is a real disease. Plenty of people do not take this problem seriously, but I think it is time for society to start coping with this issue. Anorexia as well as other eating disorders can cause brain damage, heart, lungs, and other organs to stop working properly, as mentioned before this disease leads to malnutrition which leads to your body malfunctioning because it is not retaining the proper nutrients and vitamins it needs.

I have a couple of experiences with this issue, as well as with the symptoms. I myself was about to start with this horrible habit of not eating to look "good". Yet, this is not about looking like the supermodel on television anymore this is about one's health and one's life. I am not being over-dramatic when I say anorexia can lead to death. It is true; anorexia can be as serious as cancer and other deadly diseases. First you think: "only for this week I am not going to eat or only for this week I am only drinking water, eating 2 fruits, and one sandwich," then it goes from that to only eating one fruit or one bar and that is it. Losing weight and staying healthy is possible. There is no need for over-exercising and not eating. There is no need for one meal a day and five hours of cardio. I have known people who also eat burgers and pizza once a day, but that is all they eat. Well, let me tell you that that Wendy's meal can have as much calories as you need in one whole day. I used to think the same thing, only one meal, only one drink, only six hours of exercise, this is only till I lose five pounds or six, but it is not only for this day or this week or this month, this leads to one year, two, or the rest of your life. I cannot communicate everything about this issue because I was not diagnosed with anorexia but thanks to the information I was given and the research I did on my own I found out that there are other ways to maintain a nice and slim body without jeopardizing your health.

I encourage you to take action and prevent this disease which can eventually lead to other generations to have it as well. Preventing and dealing with this disease is quite a challenge but it is not impossible. Looking for signs such as rapid and extreme weight loss, loss of appetite, constant colds or sickness, dizziness, and other uncommon changes in your body can help prevent anorexia. Talking with a psychologist about one's self-esteem and reaching out to a nutritionist or your family doctor can make a great asset to preventing this eating this order. We also count with plenty of anorexia-prevention institutions such as NEDA, National Eating Disorders Association, and Cedar Springs Austin Eating Disorders Treatment Center. Treating this problem with care and as much interest as treating other deadly disease can prevent severe consequences such as other diseases and even death. I encourage everyone to take action in this prevention; my interest comes from personal experience but do not wait for it to happen to you or your loved ones. Take action now and prevent low-self-esteem and other circumstances to get in the way of your health.

Thank you for taking your time to read my essay and analyze it!
zula 1 / 2  
I think you should write more about how it has impacted you emotionally and helped you grow as a person. You give to much information about what anorexia is, and it gets kind of repetitive. You should also re-read it there are some grammar mistakes. But i think it is a great topic because it is something that you relate to
OP karlayad 3 / 8  
yes grammar is an issue for me all the time.

I was having trouble defining whether i should write about my personal experiences more or about the issue itself since it saids to write about the issue and explain it.

Thank you for your feedback it was very helpful.
mea505 - / 265  
Karla,

I think that you can do both! Have you had any personal experience (you or your family) with this disease or something like it? If so, then you can write about your own personal experiences "and" write about the issue as well -- and explain it. In fact, I think it will be a much stronger essay if you were to write it from you own perspective. I think that others would tend to agree with me.

Mark
OP karlayad 3 / 8  
ok i will make some arrangements today and post it up tomorrow to get some feedback i think what you are telling me will make my essay much stronger. Thank you.
Fortunately, it was not me the one with the problem but two of my family members who were diagnosed with this disease. --- this is not correctly written... and it'll be awkward no matter how you fix it. The thing to do is just cut out the unnecessary comment:

Fortunately, it was not me the one with the problem but Two of my family members who were diagnosed with this disease.

The thesis sentence is great, but I'll cut out some words:
...which is why I am choosing this topic to explain to everyone around me how to cope with it, learn about it, and prevent it. ---excellent!!

Great detail, great call to action at the end.

Home / Undergraduate / Anorexia: (issue of importance) - Essay E Ut admission