Yet ANOTHER UPENN Professor question (the extinction of a language)

korchagina 2 / 2  
Please read and critique, suggestions are welcome, and so are grammar corrections.
It is so like me to be doing this the last moment... :)

Thousands of beautiful sounds cease to exist when a language stops being spoken. To me the extinction of a language is a personal tragedy; after all, foreign tongues are my passion. Stemming from my grandfather's Karelian heritage, as well as my Russian and Mordovian roots, the love of language has always propelled me in the direction of linguistics and linguistic anthropology. In this I can relate with UPENN's Assistant Professor Julie Anne Legate. Researching what she calls "interesting languages", such as Warlpiri, she seems to genuinely care about endangered languages.

Julie Anne Legate also holds interest in language acquisition. This I find fascinating as a native Russian speaker who now knows a second language as well as the primary. Judging from her publication "Morphosyntactic Learning and the Development of Tense" (with Charles Yang), she is a passionate expert, and that is who I would be honored to learn from.
zowzow 10 / 175  
This I find fascinating as a native Russian speaker who now knows a second language as well as the primary.

this sentence got me confused. but first paragraph is really solid
amy 5 / 39  
I agree with zowzow; that sentence is a bit awkward, but the response is strong, and your passion is appropriately conveyed. Nice.

Home / Undergraduate / Yet ANOTHER UPENN Professor question (the extinction of a language)