Short answer for CommonApp (the Art of Observing)

kelzdc 1 / 1  
"Observing is the art I desire to master. Through the lens, the things I see go way beyond the word "look". This meaning of "observe" becomes an awkward shallowness as true observation requires progress over the course of a lifetime. Choose a moment, take a picture, analyze it and understand it. Those steps I have taken for 17 years lead me to a 2D world in motion that moves me, teaches me and changes me in a way I can never learn in any curriculum.

I have never possessed a professional camera. The Canon A560 I have, though, becomes acquainted to me and its flaws have no longer been an inconvenience. When I turn off the preview screen and put my left eye in the small hole with a magical concave mirror, the two become one. My eye and the lens are in such a harmony that I can not even feel the difference, as if the curious eye is enthusiastically capturing every moment of the ongoing lives. The world is smaller in the frame, details are on the throne and the crowd recoils to the back when the "micro" is zoomed in to a "macro". In a second a smallest thing matters, as the eye does not miss any negligible trait of nature. And the lesson is learnt: everything exists for a reason.

Many things I've learnt from that narrow frame, the patience after hours waiting for an egg to crack, the sharpness in order to get the best position, the deepness in sending messages through images, there are things I don't want to see only. It's when I get out the streets to imitate emotional pictures about poverty, homelessness and violence which I admire, but it turns out to be harder to click the button when the bad-side of life appears in front of me. I realize that photographing them is not the only thing I want to do. I want to change them, to reverse them, to erase the evilness of humans out of my pictures. I turn to photoshop in hope of change in reality, transforming guns into foods, blood into flowers. The hope grows inside me makes me want to not only picture the world but change it somehow, in a best way I can imagine of.

In the darkness I press replay once more. Pictures flash by; repeating fates bring déjŕ vu, yet life's unpredictable and still many untouched corners of life are there for me to tell. The more I review the pictures I took, the more I want to go out and collect the stories of the odd ones out, the minorities, how they evolve and return to conventionality, waiting for other abnormalities to be born. 17 years to almost observe rightly, I hardly know what my research of life will blossom into, the road I go seems endless, but there's still a hope in me, a hope that the further steps I take will lead me where I'll become another deviance in my own record. "

Welcome any remark :D Because this answer doesn't follow the conformity so I'm really worried about it. I hope you can help me with this. Thanks a bunch in advance
Here is an idea for the first part; only use it if you like it:

Observation is the art I hope to master. Its simplified meaning, simple looking, is an awkward shallowness, whereas true observation requires progress over the course of a lifetime.

For the rest of it, it is great poetry! If I were the admissions person, I would like it, but some of them might say, "This is a nice poem, but we didn't ask for a poem." I believe that you can turn this into a powerful essay by separating the sentences and working them into the paragraphs of an essay: attention-grabbing intro with thesis statement; brilliant elaboration and support for your central idea, and an insightful, reflective conclusion. You can keep every sentence of this, but work it into an essay!
OP kelzdc 1 / 1  
Thanks Kevin. This is the essay extended from the short answer. The 1st draft though. Hope you'll help me with this.
The Canon A560 I have, though, becomes familiar to me and its flaws have no longer been an inconvenience.

When I turn off the preview screen and put my left eye to the small hole with a magical concave mirror, the two become one.

It's when I get out the streets to imitate emotional pictures about poverty, homelessness and violence which I admire, but it turns out to be harder to click the button when the bad-side of life appears in front of me.

I turn to photoshop in hopes of changing reality, transforming guns into foods, blood into flowers. The hope grows inside me making me want to not only photograph the world but to change it somehow, in the best way I can imagine of .

17 years to almost observe rightly, I hardly know what my research of life will blossom into, the road I travel seems endless, but there's still a hope in me, a hope that the further steps I take will lead me where I'll become another deviance in my own record. "

This draft is much better, more "focused" so to speak. :)
Some more suggestions:

"the Canon A560 I have, though, has become familiar to me"

"it turns out to be harder to click the button when the bad-side of life appears in front of me. I realize that photographing them is not the only thing I want to do. I want to change them, to reverse them, to erase the evilness of humans out of my pictures." An admirable sentiment. However, I'm not sure that photoshopping the images is the best way of dealing with the problem, which presumably is more than merely an aesthetic one. Perhaps you are also inspired to engage in community service?

"17 years to almost observe rightly, I hardly know what my research of life will blossom into" The first part of this sentence doesn't make sense grammatically with the main clause. Revise.

Home / Undergraduate / Short answer for CommonApp (the Art of Observing)