Short Answer: "Tell us what you found meaningful about [The Jungle Book]"

Daybreak 3 / 32  
Hello, all. I'd like some help with my short answer responses for the Columbia University supplements.
Don't feel obliged to read all of them, review one at a time if you'd prefer.
Thanks for your help.

Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events. (I chose The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling)

The skies change with the seasons, and the scents call the songs of summer. A little naked boy turns into man amidst the deep, wild bowels of the Jungle. That is the story of Mowgli from Kipling's masterpiece, The Jungle Book; my favorite book out of all my favorites. It is common to pinpoint adolescence as the time when people turn into an undistinguishable mesh of uncertainty, risk, and emotion. That is, perhaps, a bit of an overstatement. Adolescence is all about learning. And that ugly mess people keep talking about? That is just what learning looks like sometimes; like a mess that needs to be sorted out. Which brings me back to The Jungle Book, a book about growing up. I found it so meaningful because, even though I don't live in the Jungle or speak in the snakes' tongue, I'm growing up too. I find parallels between Mowgli's journeys and my own; we strive to understand a world that is not entirely logical, and we struggle with feelings we wish we could forget. In the end, I can also identify with the solutions Mowgli applied to his sorrows; confronting one's fears, turning around to fight, stepping into the lead, and holding one's head up.

Please tell us what academic class has been your favorite and why.
"Remember, everybody knows something! Life is not about what you know, it's about how you apply it." These were the words of Ms. Alana Woodin, my AP World History teacher, after one of the students insisted he didn't know a thing about the essay topic we were assigned. World History may not be my favorite subject, but it's my favorite class. Why? Because every time I step into that classroom I can't help smiling. Yes, it is a lot of work. But Ms. Alana has her own little way of adapting everything into some sort of activity. I can sing the whole overview of the Classical period to Kesha's "Tik Tok," I can review the Byzantine Empire by reading a children's book, and whenever I eat dark chocolate I remember the African Kingdoms along the sahel. Along with hearing historical references an being able, not only to recognize them, but to understand and explain them, comes a rather nice sense of satisfaction. Ms. Alana's class has taught me things beyond textbook History; it has taught me to make connections, analyze sources and texts, read in between the lines, and think beyond what is written to draw my own conclusions and observations. More than a History class, it has also been a life lesson.

Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.
On my desk, a pile of lazy papers falls asleep every night with me. When I turn my fan on, they flutter and, in my mind, I see one of them fly across the room and into my hands. Unfortunately, when choosing the place you plan to spend the next four years of your life in, and that will probably give some sort of shape to your future, the answer won't levitate neatly into your hand. You must mull it over in your mind, turn it all into a pulp, and somehow straighten it out to make a decision. After looking over the pile of papers a few times, some names start to stand out. "In the heart of New York City." I google it up and when I find the Columbia University website there is one thing on my mind: blue. When I looked up the programs I am interested in and ran through the departments of the majors I'd like to choose I found so many things that stood out. When I finished looking though the Columbia University website there was one thing on my mind: I should apply. I had no doubt after looking through the research opportunities for Biology undergraduates, like the SURF, AMGEN, and NYSTEM, finding out its Anthropology department is not only the oldest in the country, but was also founded by Franz Boas, and realizing I'd be right in the middle of the Arts capital of the United States. Surely, I had to give it a try.

For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. (I chose Biology, Anthropology, and Visual Arts.)

When a storm gathers in my chest I can empty it over a canvass. Art is the window out of which I let myself out, with my dreams and feelings flung over my back. I'm a rather shy person, but art helps me lose inhibitions and allows me to connect to people. I might not have the guts to talk to the stranger sitting next to me, but when she comments on how pretty I draw, I'll ask her what her favorite animal is and I'll make a sketch of it for her. As for anthropology, my curiosity stems off the forensic show "Bones." However, I had not considered a major on it until I took my cultural anthropology course in Stanford last summer. The insight provided by the readings, the combination of history and field studies, the detailed observation that I found myself to be so good at... suddenly I wanted to borrow a bird's wings to fly off and see the whole world; I wanted to be able to understand the people in it. Finally, biology has been in my mind since I can remember. I've enjoyed learning all about it, from the tiniest molecule to the largest biome. Biology always triggered a deep sense curiosity in me; when I found dead birds I would make their wings fold and unfold until I was sure I had it memorized the mechanism. From childish games I moved into serious research. The truth is I can never get enough of it, there are so many interesting things left to learn. All in all, these choices are subjects I am sure I'd enjoy learning more about, and I'd love spending my day working on any of them.
emanic 2 / 3  
These are from your second essay.

my AP World History teacher, spoken after one of the students

Because every time I step into that classroom, I can't help smiling.

hearing historical references and being able to not only to recognize them,

I wish I'd had a teacher like that. :)
OP Daybreak 3 / 32  
Yeah, her class is fun.
Thanks a lot for the help.
I don't like the first correction though. It sounds weird with 'spoken.'
Do you think I could make it:
"Remember, everybody knows something! Life is not about what you know, it's about how you apply it." These were Ms. Alana Woodin's words after one of the students in my AP World History class insisted he didn't know a thing about the essay topic we were [had been?] assigned.
emanic 2 / 3  
I think that that sounds fine, although I'm not really sure which ('were' or 'had been') should be used.
saurabh93 11 / 94  
With your World History connections to the "chocolate", they should be made clearer, and you should tie this into what this has to do with the teacher teaching you how to read between the lines.
OP Daybreak 3 / 32  
You're right, the chocolate thing sounds a bit out of place. I'll figure out a way to fix it, thanks for the help :)
emanon 4 / 16  
Seen as a whole these supplementary questions do construct the bigger picture about you- reflecting, growing, relating and so on. But I think the why Columbia paragraph is not so compelling. You can try relating your academic interests(visual arts etc.)with what has been offered at Columbia instead of going general.

You have built a dimension of yourself as an character. Good luck with schools!

Home / Undergraduate / Short Answer: "Tell us what you found meaningful about [The Jungle Book]"