Short Essay Answers: Books, Interests, Why Occidental

document1 2 / 2  
These all have a 500 character limit.

List five books you have read in the last year that most affected you and mark ''S'' next to those read for school. Choose one and explain its effect further.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding S
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser S
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams S

I am not one of the millions of teenage girls who have been swept up in the romance that is Eclipse. Edward speaks with eloquence, and Bella's naivety is forgiven by her sweet sincerity, but this popular teen novel confirmed that I have outgrown the one-dimensional characters and predictable plot lines.

While we realize your interests may change in college, what are your current academic or intellectual curiosities?

The human mind has always captivated me. Unsolved mysteries about sleep, memories, consciousness, and laughter all inspire the same enduring wonderment and zest within me. It is because of this fascination that I aspire to major in Cognitive Science.

There are thousands of U.S. colleges and universities. Why are you applying to Occidental? What distinguishes it from your other choices?

Occidental embodies all three things I look for in a college: location, diversity, and community. No other U.S. city can match Southern California's sunshine and opportunity. Occidental is located in the heart of Southern California in one of the largest cities in the nation, so diversity comes hand in hand with Occidental. Despite being situated in the middle of a bustling city, Occidental still maintains a close-knit community.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

Just a couple of mechanical corrections, all to do with capitalization. Remember to only capitalize proper nouns and the first words in sentences. As such, "Cognitive Science" and "Southern California" should be "cognitive science" and "southern California."

Your content is good; all of your responses effectively answer the prompts.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Short Essay Answers: Books, Interests, Why Occidental