'anything and everything of biology' - QUESTBRIDGE-BIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY

uscuscusc 9 / 27 2  
We are interested in learning more about you and the context in which you have grown up, formed your aspirations and accomplished your academic successes. Please describe the factors and challenges that have most shaped your personal life and aspirations. How have these factors caused you to grow? (800 word limit)

Hanging clothes on the clothes line, sweat was dripping down my face, the fiery breeze made my eyes water, my feet were burning, red ants were crawling up my legs: it was another burning summer day in Bakersfield. I couldn't stand it, I hoped that I would be back in Los Angeles, instead I was still here. It was Sunday the day before my sophomore year, "Yay, I can't wait" I yelped to myself.

"Welcome back! Pick up scheldules in the Gym", the sign mentioned. I walked in tip toeing over the heads of my peers, in search of the table for the sophomores. Students' voices hovered around me, a few squeals, head nods, and hugs were exchanged between them. I picked up my schedule: 1st Physical Education (PE), 2nd Biology, 3rd Geometry, 4th Lunch, 5th English, 6th History and 7th Spanish, "The day better go by fast" I sighed, "It will, hopefully."

PE came and went, then it was second period, biology. I walked into room 1605, already tired of school and just yearning to go home, Mrs. Riley was super energetic greeting all of the students walking into the class with a big "Welcome!" Mrs. Riley was rambling on and on about what we would be doing in her class, she barely even took a breath. She spoke of biology as if teaching it gave her great gratification. A few weeks later, my sister asked me if I liked my classes, then I started rambling on about my biology class; I realized that I started to love biology as well, and I didn't even think about going home anymore. As the school year progressed I grew a passion for biology, I started staying after school, taking more interest in my other classes, and actually tried.

I didn't just do good in school to get high school over with anymore; I did good in school because school became my home. I dreaded every second after I got off the school bus. Every day I slowly walked home, making each step into three little steps. As soon as I would open the door, the voice of my father would blare at me for not doing the dishes the night before or not having his breakfast ready before I went to school. Every time I would start my homework my father would say " What are you doing? Your supposed to be making dinner. What about the other people that live in this house? You can't just think about yourself!", then he would rip my homework away from my tight grip and hide it until I made dinner. Still, I kept fighting to get more priviledges at home.

"Welcome back! Pick up scheldules in the Gym", I read for the last time. I walked in tip toeing over the heads of my peers as I did before, this time cautious in case someone would bump into me and make me drop my insect collection. The Principal had called me over from across the Gym, noticing the case I had with me. "What do you got there?" He asked, "My insect collection for AP Biology" I answered, "Wow that's really great. It's the best one I have seen so far. Good job!", He congratulated me. Then I saw the table for Seniors, and I squeezed through the crowds of students, making my way to pick up my scheldule. Everyone kept stopping just to take a gander at my insect collection. I picked up my scheldule, "I wonder what I have for first, hopefully it's a good teacher" I murmered, "First AP Biology with the infamous Mrs. Riley." In my sophomore year, Mrs. Riley got me hooked to biology just by her genuine interest in the subject, so this year I returned to her class, but for AP Biology to reunite with my ardour. I have a passion for biology because most of what is knowable is still unknown. This is why biology has spurred my fascination for the medical field, and it is also the reason as to why I am going to attend a medical conference at California State University of Bakersfield on October 5th. I love anything and everything of biology because I know there is something out there just waiting to be discovered, that could change someone's life or the entire world.
hannahlorelei 3 / 11  
I didn't just do well in school... ?

Really cool to hear about your passion! Is there any chance that you would be willing to expand a little more on your home life? I think it will help them understand your situation a little better...which will help them appreciate your passion for school as well. Maybe expand on the passion you have for Biology in your essay about a concept that intellectually excites you? Try to go into more detail about your background in this essay if possible. Otherwise, great content!
OP uscuscusc 9 / 27 2  
okay i will change that!
I will add a bit more information on my home life, but I don't want a lot of negative in it; I want more positive than negative, you get me? Okay thanks will do!:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'anything and everything of biology' - QUESTBRIDGE-BIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY