"Let's not do anything today"; Northwestern Qualities Economics

briankimbk 1 / 1  
Northwestern Statement: What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified? (250 words)

"Let's not do anything today." These were the first words that came out of my unmotivated student's mouth every tutoring session. After a few unsuccessful attempts at inspiring him to study, I bought a bag of Milkyways. By rewarding him with a candybar after he finished three questions, I fully prepared him for his Algebra class. This psychological interaction with my student catalyzed my interest in behavioral economics. At Northwestern, I will be able to participate in its esteemed economics program and engage in numerous student opportunities.

I am interested in how the human psyche can influence human behaviors, specifically in the case of the nation's economy. The Department of Economics at Weinberg College uniquely offers the flexibility of pursuing economics and psychology, merging my experience of deftly selling instrumental music car wash tickets by adding a personal touch to the appearance of the tickets. Furthermore, Behavioral Economics taught by Professor Eric Schulz will further my interest in acquiring more knowledge about how economics can be applied in our daily lives. Moreover, NU's diversified opportunities for its undergraduate students will allow me to engage in events such as the Nemmers Prize Conference, where I will be able to dig deeper into merging both economics and psychology. Also, being an immigrant, I have been sheltered from diverse cultural exchange, living in Korea for nine years. Through activities such as the Board Game Night and the Dance Marathon, i plan to expose myself to unique individuals who will inspire me with cultural diversity. Overall, Northwestern's excellent economic program and dynamic student life will allow me to flexibly pursue my goals and interests.
LiangWu 4 / 11  
Hi~
It's a complete and coherent essay.
Some advice:
1.i think you should clarity different opportunities(you mentioned two kinds of opportunities), and make them seem more different from each other. eg. research opportunities and community engagement.

2.the mentioning of professor doesn't answer the prompt about "qualities", i think you should try another way to show that you have researched, such as talking about some behavioral research center..

3.if you want to show that you're determined, probably "such as" is a second choice, i would directly say "i want to join xxxx"

a tip: try to look for words that seem too abstract, like"engage", a specific kind of work is more convincing.

just my opinions
winginger 5 / 10 1  
You have a great start, and I especially liked your opening sentence.

Your essay is very formulaic. It's good for getting your main points said, but it can sound a bit stiff and it takes up words. You could try combining a few sentences and playing around with the syntax to make it less stiff and more flowing. For example, "After a few unsuccessful attempts at inspiring him to study, I bought a bag of Milkyways and rewarded him with a candybar for every three questions he answered correctly. This psychological interaction with my student jumpstarted my interest in behavioral economics."

It might also be good to say what student opportunities at Northwestern you're interested in. For example, "... esteemed economics program and engage in numerous student opportunities, like [fill in the blank]."

I'm also confused by what you mean when you say, "merging my experience of deftly selling instrumental music car wash tickets by adding a personal touch to the appearance of the tickets." Maybe you could explain more what you mean or you'll leave your reader confused.

Also, when you say, "Furthermore, Behavioral Economics taught by Professor Eric Schulz will further my interest ..." you probably don't need to write that it was taught by professor Eric Schulz. After all, the admissions officer reading it will probably know, and the added detail doesn't really add much to the essay as a whole.
OP briankimbk 1 / 1  
thank you for your input!

Home / Undergraduate / "Let's not do anything today"; Northwestern Qualities Economics