FSU APP, "service appeals to me most"

jplzzzle 1 / -  
Prompt:Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeal most to you and why?

Service, The action of helping or doing work for someone else, Sure the literal definition sounds degrading in a way, but the meaning behind service is far from belittling. Service is the characteristic that appeals most to me. It's to be involved with the community, it's to help the less fortuned, and it's to truly be part of something greater than one's self. Community service has had an enormous effect on my life helping me become the involved member of society I am today. I never miss out on the chance to help the community in any way possible, whether it be giving blood, participating in a Relay for Life, or something as simple as picking up litter off of the ground at a local park. The primary reason service stands out from the rest of the characteristics is that service benefits every person involved with no exceptions. Having volunteered a documented two hundred and sixty seven hours and selflessly volunteering a countless amount of undocumented volunteer hours, I have seen firsthand the effect community service has on both the volunteer and those receiving the help. Those that volunteer, such as myself, become more outgoing people and learn how to take initiative. Those that receive the help of a volunteer see the goodness in people's hearts and are inspired, resulting in a domino effect. Helping a group could inspire those people into helping others and soon serving those few individuals resulted in the helping of thousands. No characteristic is more important than service. As I see it, all the other listed characteristics: leadership, learning, and global awareness, can derive from or be built off of service. Volunteering demonstrates leadership because someone who takes on responsibilities and sets an example is the paradigm of a leader. Volunteering demonstrates learning because one can gain knowledge through interaction with different minds. Volunteering demonstrates global awareness because without volunteer work, idealistically nothing would be done about issues at hand. Service appeals to me most because the long term effects are all beneficial, because I've had extensive experience in community service, and because service is a characteristic one can use in nearly every situation.

some of the parallelism is intentional such as "It's to" and "Volunteering Demonstrates"
any and all help is greatly appreciated :D
thanks -JP
marcoh5907 2 / 2  
Sounds great. I love that is short and straight forward.

Home / Undergraduate / FSU APP, "service appeals to me most"