The Appalachia Service Project - Does this essay explain how ASP impacted me?

lizziem 3 / 5  
Hi

I'm not sure if my essay is too long and need help to edit it. Thanks.

The Appalachia Service Project changes you. That's what I was told before going on my first trip to the mountains of Tennessee fixing houses for people in need. Skeptical, I did not believe that one experience could have such an impact on me, yet for the past two summers, each trip to Appalachia has proven me wrong.

On my first ASP trip, as a stubborn, jaded sophomore, I expected little. I knew no one going on the trip, and I didn't expect to make friends with the other kids. I disliked doing house chores and wasn't eager to work on other peoples' houses. In both instances, my initial assumptions were wrong. First, I was surprised how similar the people there were to me as many of us shared an enjoyment for sports and spent hours of our free-time playing basketball, soccer, and dodge ball in the school gym. Second, I was surprised how rewarding it was to fix a stranger's house as the sawing, drilling, and hammering were more enjoyable and rewarding when done to help another. Contrary to my initial expectations, I woke up each morning ready to get to work and as the week ended, I couldn't wait for the following summer in anticipation of another rewarding, fun trip.

Back in Appalachia as a junior, my first day of work was dramatic as the woman whose house we were fixing suddenly came outside crying hysterically. She had just gotten news that her twenty-year-old son was dead. It was the most difficult experience I had ever faced. Having no prior relationship with her, I wasn't sure how to react. I wanted to show that I was sympathetic but at the same time, I had no experience in dealing with death and I really had no idea what to do. In the end, I told her that I was sorry for her loss and I went back to work with an added passion. Although there was nothing I could say to make her feel better, my increased dedication to building her handicap ramp was my way of showing I cared.

The past two summers as an ASP volunteer have affected me greatly. I've learned to keep an open mind and not to pass judgment on people I don't know. I've learned that I can get enjoyment from things unexpected. I've learned that I love to build things, especially things that will help others. And, I've learned that words alone do not convey a message; my actions too are ways to express myself.
That's what I was told before going on my first trip to the mountains of Tennessee, fixing houses for people in need.

I knew no one going on the trip, and I didn't expect to make friends with the other kids. I disliked doing house chores and wasn't eager to work on other peoples' houses. ---Were you forced to go? How and why did you go in the first place?

First, I was surprised at how similar the people there were to me, as many of us shared an enjoyment...

Second, I was surprised by how rewarding it was to fix a

Back in Appalachia as a junior, my first day of work was dramatic, as the woman whose house we were fixing suddenly came outside crying hysterically.

Home / Undergraduate / The Appalachia Service Project - Does this essay explain how ASP impacted me?