"Application influence, dreams, work experience, and mission" Syracuse Supplement

cclu3312 2 / 2  
I'm applying to Syracuse University and they have a supplement.
They don't mention any criteria like maximum/minimum length,
so I kind of blindly went at it.
I'd really appreciate some feedback since I really don't know what I'm doing. OTL

It's a bit long, I'm sorry!

1. Who or what influenced you to apply to Syracuse University?
While on my college hunt, I had discriminatively closed my eyes to all private institutions for fear of high tuition fees. That aside, the quality of the art department was my only concern. But half way into my hunt I was faced with a list of colleges with art departments that I was only lukewarm about. Then a pamphlet from Syracuse University came in the mail. My father handed it to me and declared that cost shouldn't fog my decision while choosing a college. The pamphlet introduced a variety of art-related majors that were offered by Syracuse, and I was immediately intrigued. It featured computer art, illustration, fashion design, and a variety of other areas, nearly all of which I was interested in. I had found my fit. My father led me to the pamphlet, and the pamphlet led me to Syracuse University.

2. Who is the person you dream of becoming and how do you believe Syracuse University can help you achieve this?
The only person in the world that I dream to become is myself. I dream to become self confident and a leader rather then a follower. I dream to be a successful human being as well as a contributing member of society. I dream to be satisfied with my life and live it to its fullest. I dream to truly find myself and what it means to be me. That person is the person that I dream to become. I believe that by attending Syracuse University, by experiencing the life that it will give me, by letting me pursue my passion for art, and by teaching me not only factual knowledge, but also a deeper meaning to my life and the world around me, that I will one day be able to say that I no longer dream to become myself, I already am.

3. If you have had work experience, what skills and/or knowledge did you gain?
Although I have no official work experience, for a brief time I did online art commissions. Customers online would request art of their characters, and I would draw them for a commission fee. The process was simple, informal, and unofficial, but I value the experience nonetheless. I expected the most difficult aspect of doing commissions to be creating the artwork, but I later found that simply communicating with the commissioner was challenging on its own. I learned not only how to polish my artwork, but also how to follow close instructions of commissioners, and adhere to their preferences rather then mine. I learned how to respect the statement that "the customer is always right", and found myself being able to comprehend the wants of others better then I had before. The work may have been unofficial, but the experience was very real.

4. Our mission of Scholarship in Action, education for the world in the world, extends beyond the classroom to include engagement opportunities with our campus community, the City of Syracuse, and locations across the globe. Based on your interests, tell us what real-world experiences you might pursue during your education at Syracuse as part of this mission

At Syracuse University, classroom walls will not limit me or my options. The knowledge I gain will be useless if I fail to apply it, therefore I intend to use every ounce of that knowledge and apply it to the real world. I plan to continue my unofficial line of work as a freelance illustrator in order to amass even more experience in the massive world of art, and to continue drawing even after class is out. I also hope to explore more artistic opportunities both on and off campus, and perhaps even pursue an official occupation. Though despite my current plans, I will not limit myself to them or close myself off from other opportunities. I plan to keep an open mind and a sharp eye, and engage in whatever chance I may come by.
The pamphlet introduced a variety of art-related majors which were offered by Syracuse, and I was immediately intrigued. It featured computer art, illustration, fashion design, and a variety of other areas, nearly all of which I was interested in.

I had found my perfect fit.
-----------------------------------------------------------

2.
The only person in the world that I dream to become is myself.---Beautiful answer!!

I dream to become self confident and a leader rather then a follower.

I dream of becoming a successful human being as well as a contributing member of society.

I dream of being satisfied with my life and living it to its fullest.

... a deeper meaning to my life and the world around me, that I will one day be able to say that I no longer dream of becoming myself, I already am.

-------------------------------------------------------
3.
I learned not only how to polish my artwork, but also how to follow close instructions of commissioners, and adhere to their preferences rather than my own .

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Application influence, dreams, work experience, and mission" Syracuse Supplement