'appreciative for having Paula in my life' - (someone who has made an impact)

Bgracia2 2 / 4  
The University of Texas has provided the same prompt as previous years, now that it's my turn to take part in the admissions essay I feel stress is getting the better of me. Please help review my assay and provide any comments, questions, etc. Thanks you :)

Prompt: Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

If I was to embark on a magnificent adventure with someone, it would have to be with my favorite person, Paula. She is someone I have known all my life- the individual I grew up with, literally. It comes with great difficulty explaining all the different ways she has impacted my life, because there are too many to count. I have considered her to be my sister, my counselor, my teacher, and at times even my mother. Despite the fact she is only three years older than me; I look at Paula, my cousin, with great esteem and admiration.

Ever since my birth we were together, mutually growing and maturing. She has gracefully acted as the older sibling I never had, and I was pleased to have someone to admire. With our opposite natures we perfectly accentuated each other; perhaps it is why our bond grew so strong. Brave and courageous, she was the first person to teach me how to use a swing, ride a bike, and climb a tree. Constantly pushing me forward, she has helped me get over my fear of heights and to persevere when the days seem disheartening. Paula has truly provided a wonderful childhood experience and I could not fathom growing up without her.

I began to realize the extent of our bond when she stood by me when no one else would. This became especially apparent when I decided to come-out to her. Confiding in her was the best decision I ever took, and it felt as if a huge weight was lifted out of my chest. Suddenly I could breathe better and smile genuinely- all thanks to her. Since then, Paula actively encouraged me to be comfortable and confident with whom I was. While problematic at first, her persistence developed my self-assurance and self-esteem. To this day, I profoundly stand in her debt, thankful for all the support she has provided.

Now that we have active agendas, it is no longer easy to see each other as frequently as we once did. Nevertheless, we try to spend our free time together whenever we have the chance. Despite our occasional rendezvous, we manage to keep in touch and retain our friendship with the highest regard. Always maintaining similar ideals, I enjoy that the complexity of our conversation has upheld a sense of mutual understanding. Now that Paula has grown into a courageous, diligent, and witty young woman, I look at her with hopes of the future, eager to take part in the new experiences we will share together.

I am sincerely appreciative for having Paula in my life. My life stands as a testament to her magnificent reassurance and support. Her encouragement has heartened my desire to succeed in life, and it is with her that I wish to share my success with. Despite having no proper blood relation of any kind, I cherish her as if she were my own sister. No, more than a sister, my soul mate.
jrciii 1 / 7  
You contradict yourself in the last couple lines but given the context that may be ok. And also you should state the characteristics gained from Paula being in your life will help you in college. Good Luck.
OP Bgracia2 2 / 4  
Thanks a ton! i'll review it and try to fix it as best as i can :) thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / 'appreciative for having Paula in my life' - (someone who has made an impact)