"Aria and music" UVA College Supplement

jleck95 2 / 5 2  
I was musically suppressed. The rap and pop music that infested the music stations were no longer appealing to me. I had grown sick of contemporary music, so I furiously flicked through the music channels on TV. I stopped on the classical channel; surely it couldn't be worse than listening to Justin Bieber.

That was the first time I heard "Vesti La Giubba" from Pagliacci I was quite unsettled as it was completely different from the type of music I had heard all my life. I felt an instant connection with the sound of the song. As the fragile notes softly tip-toes across the air, Lucianno Pavoroitti delivers the powerful lyrics, settling into my heart with an unspeakable, almost unbearable sadness. Four minutes later, I was awestruck and emotionally drained. The uneasy, emotional melody was almost physically tangible, and left me on the verge of tears. The piece dwelled heavily on my mind, as I found myself thinking deeper about its true meaning.

Although the background context of the piece was unknown to me at the time, the piece itself left no doubts what it was about. Representing the uncertainty of love and society, "Vesti La Giubba" embodied every sorrow I had experience. The piece had installed in me a new cause. I no longer desperately worried about my grandmother's serious health condition but thought of new ways to ease her situation. I had learned to persevere in even the most tragic situations. The beauty of the piece is an unforgettable experience I will always cherish. (256/250 words)
aaamonicaaa 3 / 11 3  
Ir's easier to put everything in the present tense, I would definitely try to put all tenses in the present.
Word choice is spectacular!
blazerd123 5 / 7 3  
yea, replace Pagliacci with the name of the composer/writer. so it would be like ""Vesti La Giubba" by Ruggero Leoncavallo "

then replace "Lucianno Pavoroitti's powerful lyrics" with "Ruggero Leoncavallo's powerful lyrics"

Home / Undergraduate / "Aria and music" UVA College Supplement