"Army Brat" & Adaptability; Villanova/ Lesson I'd love to share

noneil 2 / 4 1  
Essay specifically for Villanova University.

Topic: One of the core values of Villanova, as an Augustinian university founded on the teachings of St. Augustine, is that student and faculty learn from each other. As you imagine yourself as a member of the Villanova community, what is one lesson that you have learned in your life that you will want to share with others?

I wear the title of "Army Brat" as a badge of honor. An Army Brat is someone who has grown up as the child of a soldier. For me, it's an identity that supersedes most others. Ten moves in seventeen years have shaped my unique and persevering character while providing me with a valuable opportunity to learn lessons along the way. If I could share one lesson that I've learned as an Army Brat with the Villanova community, it is the importance of adaptive problem solving. Along with knowing how to pack and unpack boxes well, because of my nomadic lifestyle I've learned that being true to your values while also being adaptive to situations will ultimately lead you to success.

Army Brats, like Saint Augustine, learn to live by values and principles. Saint Augustine taught us to believe in truth, unity, and love. I continually call upon these principles. For example, I organized and led a team of teenage girls to raise funds for both the Susan G. Komen's Breast Cancer Rally and the Light the Night Walk for Leukemia. In doing so, I encouraged a group of my peers to believe in something bigger than themselves while also recognizing the importance of helping others. By following the ideologies of Saint Augustine, I was able to follow the principles that I learned as an Army Brat and build a team that ultimately had a positive impact on the community.

In addition to following my values, as an Army Brat, I've also learned the importance of quickly adapting to a new environment. As a person who has moved numerous times, I find myself often reaching out to others with my hands and my heart. I have learned that friendships formed in hours can last a lifetime. Going into college, I believe that the ability to form relationships will be helpful. I hope to teach others how to do the same. I'm certain I can help make their transition into college life a little bit easier. The lessons of adapting while always being true to your principles are especially important when making new friends.

Finally, I've learned that in order to thrive in any environment, having a flexible strategy helps you avoid pitfalls. While having a plan is critical, allowing yourself to be adaptable is even better. Being adaptable is more than just going with the flow. It's having the mindset of "not everything is set in stone." It's recognizing that life will bring unforeseen challenges and we must learn to adjust as we go. For example, in April 2010, I lived in Kansas while my dad was in Iraq. Assuming we would be there for my high school years, I tried out and made the varsity cheer team at my new high school. This plan was working well until my family discovered we'd be moving to Virginia with no notice. Although I was disappointed in having to leave Kansas, I knew that new opportunities would present themselves. After we moved, I tried out and made the team in Virginia. Three years later, I became the team captain. Starting at a new high school, making new friends, and becoming a part of the squad were daunting challenges. I knew that it would only work if I was flexible and had Saint Augustine's level of trust. I was able to adapt to the situation and modify it into something that resulted in one of my proudest accomplishments.

One of my favorite things about being an Army Brat is knowing that my life will constantly change. I've come to learn that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Instead, it's green where I water it. With a little bit of flexibility, a spirit of adventure, and staying true to your values and principles, anyone can make the best of any situation. It's one of my favorite lessons and my hope is to share it with the Villanova community.
moon05 13 / 133 20  
team that ultimately had a positive impact on the community.

I think it should be MADE

Other than that everything seems fine as the Duke one.

Home / Undergraduate / "Army Brat" & Adaptability; Villanova/ Lesson I'd love to share