Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

ART can be anything to anyone! ; What, How & Why do you make? Parsons

Bape95 2 / 3  
As humans we always try to define, categorize, or stereotype something or someone. It is in our nature to try to comprehend every single thing that is around us. But haven't we realized we can't categorized and place everything inside a box.

I've always asked myself this. What is Art? And I have realized art can be anything and anyone. Art can coincide with anything because we human beings are living works of art created by God in his own image. Ever since I was a child my passion has always been art. To me art is a realm where I can escape reality and put my imaginary thoughts on to paper. The sketches that I have created I considered them to be an extension of myself. I try to incorporate my interests which include history, science, fashion, cartoons, comic books, music, and literature. When I'm creating an art piece I get inspired by different people who include my Grandfather who's a hard worker and a loving father-grandfather, Pharrell Williams for having inspirational statements and his influence in the art world, Takashi Murakami wide range of color usage in sculptures, painting and his concept of Superflat, and most of all I get inspired by my family and friends because they so diverse and have different personalities which I can incorporate in my art works.

The works of art I create is whatever pops up in my mind. If I see something that captivates me I just have to draw it. Most of the time I just dabble with different art styles to test myself and teach myself on skills I haven't learned. Sometimes I draw pictures that are strange and scary monsters to help me get over my fears. Other times I just create characters and fashion designs of who I want to be and what I want to wear. How I create my artworks is by first having a vision in mind. Then I start creating various sketches and pick out which features of each sketch I'm pleased with and start working on my final sketch.

The reason why I create art is because it's a personal challenge for me. It doesn't matter if a person hate my art works or says its plain, as long I love what I create I'm content. Through art I've learned new skills that have helped me progress along the way. As I've grown as an artist, i've found that this drive for perfection has infiltrated all parts of my life especially in school. Art has taught me never stop trying, always be yourself and you can improve on different skills. After getting an education from Parsons I see myself getting an internship at a highly respectable company. Getting the internship I hope to make a name for myself throughout the company and get promotions until I reach the position I want which is Creative Director. After receiving the Creative Director's position I hope to start my own company as well keep my current position.

Home / Undergraduate / ART can be anything to anyone! ; What, How & Why do you make? Parsons