The art of learning- Stanford- What matters to you most and why

12nikki12 2 / 5 1  
I find solace in any form of art. When my fingers glide across velvety clay on a spinning wheel, I'm reminded that I'm the architect of my life. As I make the decision between acrylic and oil paint, I stress on the importance of versatility. While I painstakingly create a henna design on my Aunt's palm, I understand the value of wholehearted hard work and patience.

I cherish the connection made when I gift someone a piece of art. Creating for others requires insightful deduction. This quality gave me an epiphany which changed the way I saw myself. I was often tempted to download TV shows in order to escape the dilemma of being left out in a society where teens talk about the enigmas of Breaking Bad 30% of the time. But as my zeal for creating flourished, it dawned on me that we humans are pieces of art. The wondrous mechanism of the heart is ingenious craftsmanship; the mother transferring her genes to her child is not unlike the artist transferring thoughts to a canvas; my dear friends who unknowingly inspire their own gifts are works of art themselves. No one should change to be accepted; I now see that originality is vital not only in artwork but also in people.

Ever since I could hold a pencil, I've lost myself in the endless world of art. I trust that it'll be a lifelong teacher, as well as a source of pleasure and satisfaction.

I'm unsure about this essay because most essays I see are about equality, discrimination etc. Help!
I can see from your response that you understand what is being asked and you answered as truthfully as possible. Don't judge your answer by the answers other people gave. Everyone has different answers to the same prompt. From what I can gather from what you wrote, what matters most to you is the contentment that you feel when creating art. That should be the focal point of your essay. What matters most to you? Your answer is "the content feeling I get from creating art." Now comes the next question, "Why do you feel that way about creating art?" Consider those your guide questions in answering the paper. Do not stray from the prompt and guide questions. Don't mention irrelevant topics such as your Breaking Bad sentence. Highlight the importance of art in your life instead. That will answer the essay prompt :-)
OP 12nikki12 2 / 5 1  
Omg thankyouu! I totally understand
OP 12nikki12 2 / 5 1  
This is my edit- is it any better than the first one? Thanks

Art and People- I find solace in any form of art. When my fingers glide across velvety clay on a spinning wheel, I'm reminded that I'm the architect of my life. As I make the decision between acrylic and oil paint, I stress on the importance of versatility. While I painstakingly create a henna design on my Aunt's palm, I understand the value of wholehearted hard work.

What I cherish most is the connection made when I gift someone a piece of art. Systematic deduction and insight are required to make every gift perfect for its recipient. I want the art in the individual to be mirrored in the present, so that my creation is nothing short of his or her identity. We all have common art within us, such as nature's ingenious craftsmanship that resulted in the wondrous mechanism of the heart. But what I want the recipient to see in the gift are the traits that defines him or her as a unique person. A newspaper and toothpick ballerina perfectly mirrored my neighbor's love for ballet and her obsession with recycling. My best friend's name on aluminum foil depicted his complaints about his brother getting more attention than him as well as his craze for bling.

Gifting art creates treasured memories and is just as heart- warming and thrilling as making art itself. I want the people around me to understand how much I love them, and art does a better job of telling them than words ever could.

Ill help anyone who comments with their essay :)
I am very pleased to say that you did a very good job on this essay. You successfully answered the prompt. Not only that, but you also gave a very insightful explanation as to why you value art so much. The fact that you were able to explain it beyond contentment, drawing on the way you use art to connect with people is just something that makes your response very special. You should be very proud of the way you wrote this paper. Although there are some grammatical errors, your sentiments and desire to create art for your personal and other people's happiness shines through. If have not exceeded the word count limit and still have place to expand upon your explanation, I suggest you do so. There is truly more room to express your love for art in your paragraphs :-)
OP 12nikki12 2 / 5 1  
Thanks so much! 😄 Actually this is 250 words exactly which is the word limit. I will scan through for grammatical errors. Thanks again :)

Home / Undergraduate / The art of learning- Stanford- What matters to you most and why