Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing"- need help UF essay

dentine 1 / -  
I need as much help as i can get I am not a very good writer

Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

Marcus Aurelius once said " The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing; the main thing is to stand firm and be ready for an unseen attack." In my sophomore year of high school I joined my schools wrestling team which was the most rewarding experience of my life. I learned the meaning of hard work, determination, focus and pride. Before I joined the team I had little confidence in my self and my ability to succeed, I did not have many friends and I rarely talked to new people. After I joined the tem I changed a lot becoming more sociable and gaining confidence in my self.

The first few weeks of practice were not easy. Practice was everyday after school and on Saturdays, we even had practice on Thanksgiving day. Every practice we ran a three mile warm up before we started wrestling. Then when we went inside and started wrestling we drilled and drilled non stop until the end of practice. At the end of each practice we finished up with one hundred push ups and sit ups. I thought about quitting because it was so hard and I had never done anything like this before. I told my self that I can make it though and that I will come back for the next practice. I came back next practice and every practice after that. As days and weeks passed I got used to the daily routine and the practices became easier and easier.

Through determination and hard work I earned a spot on the varsity team, which is something I am very proud of. A few weeks later I had my first match and I was very nervous. My coach told me to calm down and remember what I had learned. I took my position and the match started he shot for my leg, I sprawled and got behind him and slammed him on the mat. On the ground I would try a move and he would counter he would try a move and I would counter, the match went on like that for a full three periods. When the buzzer sounded I thought I had lost , but to my surprise I won by twelve points. After that match I had a lot more confidence and pride.

Now I am the complete opposite of who I used to be before I started wrestling. I talk to more people, I have a lot more friends and I believe in my self in everything that I do. I hope to bring my hard work and dedication to the University of Florida. The lessons I learned from wrestling will guide through college and on to a successful life. My time on the wrestling team wasn't just something I did after school, it is the foundation for my future.

Home / Undergraduate / "The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing"- need help UF essay