"Art provides self-impression" - Common app short answer

colorcode 4 / 11  
about art: is the message clear enough?

At two o'clock in the morning, I am still drowned in fluorescent studio light, my fingers paint-tinged and my eyes coffee-stained red. Sleep murmurs to be from the southern tip of my bed but I ignore it. I am not a runner, a singer, or a musician. Instead, I haphazardly throw acrylics across a canvas in just the right spot, twirling my paintbrush around my chalky thumb. To me, art is not the free GPA boost or the blow-off period you use for homework. It is how I open myself up to the world; it is a way of submerging into an alternate universe where I can control the way that light falls or the way that music should look. Art provides an outlet for self-expression, enabling me to embrace other artists' perspectives and values, learning from them to make myself a better artist and person. Art is not just an elective; it is an emotion. Instead of screaming to the world, I paint. Both turn you inside out.

it's also 19 words too long..
ampa 2 / 8  
I read your answer and i was pleased. You expressed your love of art well and I like how you mention how art is used as a free period and a gpa booster as I find that it is used that way by many students.

I really liked how you described that "Art is not just an elective; it is an emotion."
Your short answer started out to be interesting until the middle- or the sixth sentence because it seems to get a little to wordy, and I started loosing you. So, if you need to cut back, you could possibly start in the middle- good luck!
chrisinjax 1 / 2  
coffee-stained red. Sleep murmurs to be

Should it be "Sleep murmurs to me" ?

Coffee-stained, maybe find another discription.

Other than that, good job!!
...fingers tinged by blue paint and my eyes coffee-stained red.

I am not a runner, a singer, or a musician. Instead, I haphazardly throw acrylics across a canvas in just the right spot, twirling my paintbrush around my chalky thumb. ---hahahh nice!! Well, you can be a runner, too, if you get up early tomorrow. :-)

Art is not just an elective; it is a vehicle for emotion.

Good stuff here... above, my ideas are not so important... just ideas I'd like to contribute to your process.
mea505 - / 265  
Hey Cindy,

I've already seen what Kevin has suggested, and I see that you still need 19 words to be removed from the essay. I took the time to take out a sentence or two, but I didn't want to rob from the essence of the essay. This is one marvelous essay, by the way. Very well-written, indeed. Take a look at my suggestions:
paintedjournal - / 1  
Talking about a website about artists and creativity on Common App Creative Work?

One of the Common App prompts is to discuss a creative work that you were influenced by. Is it okay to talk about a website as a whole that brings together artists who create things?
draconlord 6 / 24  
Just about any topic you write is ok, so long as it's well-written, interesting and legal.
I hope it is. If the AO reader is stuck in an are prior to the 1992 initiation of societies' Internet experiences, s/he may not be able to appreciate it as much as a discussion of one of the classics. But really... it should be okay.

Do a good, inspired job. Also, you might want to spend some time talking about the various artists represented.
Is the website really a creative work, or just a simple forum?

Home / Undergraduate / "Art provides self-impression" - Common app short answer