My art speaks for me. As an artist, words are sometimes too inadequate. SAIC Statement

takeyuki13 1 / 1  
Prompt: Writing is a vital component of being an artist, and an extremely important part of being a student at SAIC. Tell us about you, your art-making practices, and why you are a strong candidate for the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's (SAIC) undergraduate program.

Include information about what inspires you, what does your artistic process look like, share why you are interested in and utilize certain materials, exhibitions in which you have participated, or other activities that contribute to the making of your work.

(Please give me any critics or feedback! Just go for it! Any help/advice would be much appreciated!) Thank You.

Essay:

As an artist, words are sometimes too inadequate for me. It's difficult to express myself as who I am when I'm restrained to just words. I can tell people as much information about myself as I want to, but they will never get to know the complete me unless I show them, which is through my art. Art breaks all the barriers of human words and communication. With my art, no words or translations are needed to tell people how I feel or what I think, instead it establishes a silent link with the viewer and will show them my feelings through texture, colors, materials and techniques. Based on this, I can say that my art comes from within me.

Since art is my chosen method of expression and a large part of how I communicate my opinions and thoughts to others, my pieces are often inspired by my past and my self issues. When I start each piece, I like to reflect on how I can effectively incorporate the problems that I have about myself in my work without making it obvious yet understandable to the viewer. I conceptualize many different ideas and play around with colors, space, material and shapes. In many of my pieces, the colors that I use range from bright acid-like tones to dull base- like tones. The color fluctuations in my pieces are used to convey my mood and to engage the viewers. Along with color, there are the materials. I frequently juxtapose different materials together, rearranging them in all kinds of shapes possible. The shapes that I create are a balance of "organic" and "geometric." It always fascinates me how shapes can tell a story without needing text. I then layer, deconstruct, or disassemble- whichever way works the best- and put all these elements together; creating works that are aesthetically pleasing to me, while also conveying a concept that holds everything together and a message that tells the viewers a hidden part of myself.

A large part that comes into play in my art is the usage of materials. Anything can be used to create. I never like to limit myself to one medium because then it isn't as challenging for me. I am interested in using everyday materials that people see all the time and turning it into something conceptual. I love the idea of using a regular object that is easily communicable to the viewers but adding the conceptual parts to it to get my point across or to reflect something about me, which makes the art, in a way, foreign yet clear.

Participating in exhibitions is another way I am able to draw influence for my work. Some past exhibitions that I have participated in is my school's annual coffee house and the regional scholastics art and writing awards. In both exhibitions, I always walk around and take a look at the other works that are displayed. Whenever I see something that sparks an interest in me, I jot the idea down and work on it until I am able to change it into an idea that is mine.

As an artist, I am always seeking for new ways to create. I can work through any given challenge and learn from my past mistakes or failures. I push myself through boundaries and I am very open to critics and am always willing to learn. I think that my best ability as an artist is that I can take my feelings and turn it into a tangible piece of art. The ability to show and not just tell. With that being said, I know that I can be a good fit for SAIC because SAIC is a school that is constantly testing the boundaries of there students. I am more than happy to take up the challenges given to me every day and to push myself to work harder to see where my talent can take me. I know that at SAIC, I will be able to grow as an artist and as an individual.
AlinaSkripets 11 / 41 5  
As an artist, I find thatwords are sometimes too inadequate for me. - you need to be an active subject in both parts of the sentence

It's difficult to express myself as who I am when I'm restrained to just words . - an unnecessary repetition

I can reciete people as much information about myself as can fit in words , but they will never get to know the complete me unless I show them, which happens only through my art.

Art breaks all the barriers of human words and communication. With my art, no words or translations are needed to tell people how I feel or what I think, instead it establishes a silent link with the viewer and shows them my feelings through texture, colors, materials and techniques. - this sentence is just beautiful!!

Based on this, I can say that my art comes from within me.

I'll go on editing if this proves helpful to you. However, I have to go now. Good luck with your essay
OP takeyuki13 1 / 1  
Thank You so much. If it is no trouble for you, could you possibly continue editing this for me? I don't mean to push all the work on you, I'm just in need of good assistance. Thank You again.

Home / Undergraduate / My art speaks for me. As an artist, words are sometimes too inadequate. SAIC Statement