'Artistic Journey' - Common App-Topic 1-Significant Experience

HereticKeyboard 1 / -  
Hi, I need help with this essay fro the common app, my idea was to have an artistic , i guess revelation, *HEAVENLY MUSIC FROM ABOVE* and it in turn allows me to become more concentrated on life .

#1 Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
When I was younger, I saw amazing paintings by the masters and always thought to myself about how absolutely breath-taking they were. Those painting always enamored me with their beauty. I always wanted to be able to paint a masterpiece, but didn't exactly know how but I figured how hard could it be?

There was always so much in those paintings, the colors on the canvas hypnotized me; I had to try it. Swirling the colors on the palette and applying it to the canvas, it looked so simple; so I took out a canvas, arranged some paints, got out some brushes, and placed a cup of water on the right side behind my canvas. Easy enough, yet when I began to apply the paint, it suddenly became the bane of my every waking hour, I couldn't do it. If I put a green here, and a blue there, I realized that they were both the wrong shade, nothing worked together. I was so confused to why it couldn't work the same way that the artist of the painting had. I couldn't stand my work not being able to look like the real thing. The painting tugged and tugged at me but I couldn't tell what it wanted me to do, so I simply left it, I didn't want to see it or touch it. For weeks and weeks it nagged at me, then months passed by and quickly years, and by then it was almost forgotten as it lay in the corner of a closet.

And the closet was where I uncovered it 4 years later. I knew that I would have to finish it. When I began to redraw it, the color just still seemed wrong, but I couldn't abandon it again, not this time, I would have to try harder.

This time I studied the artist, read dozens of drawing books and practiced painting and coloring again and again. That time I knew that I would be able to get it the closest to the original that I could possibly get it to. And so I did, although it wasn't perfect, it was the best that anyone could have done, I was completely satisfied. I gained a passion for learning and knowledge as that was the only thing that would aid me.

I learned that although things look effortless and simple, they aren't when you try to do them. This experience taught me the true meaning of working hard. Giving up on the painting and abandoning it would not help me, so I would have to be just like the artist, step into their shoes, learn through experience, mistakes, hardships to attain my goal, just as I would have to do with everything in life. Through this experience, I learned to be independent and to count only on myself to do what I need to do.

I

Word Count 491
When I was younger, I saw amazing paintings by the masters and always thought to myself aboutremembered how absolutely breath-taking they were.

Those painting always enamored me with their beauty.

I have always wanted to be able to paint a masterpiece, but didn't exactly know how, though I figured, how hard could it be?

There was always so much in those paintings, and the colors on the canvas hypnotized me; I had to try it.

Swirling the colors on the palette and applying them to the canvas, it looked so simple;...

I was so confused as to why it wouldn't work the same way that the artist of the painting had.---oops, this sentence doesn't actually make sense!

...seemed wrong, but I couldn't abandon it again, not this time. I would have to try harder.

This is a good idea for an essay, but I was hoping that you would end with finding that you don't need to copy the masters, you are a unique artist, blending your colors and painting your own masterpieces! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Artistic Journey' - Common App-Topic 1-Significant Experience