"arts in architecture" - my statement of purpose

bmnk 1 / 1  
Statement Of Purpose:
My native place is a small town, a beautiful green valley, where agriculture and handicraft happen to be the chief vocations. It is called Ziro. As a kid, i used to run wild and love Ziro for its innate wilderness and subtle regulations. But all the while i witnessed a neglected socio-architectural ambience. As my fondness for Ziro grew, so did my intense desire to revolutionize the existing heedless architectural framework. With my first exposure to modern architecture at the age of 8, by a tourist, who was an architect himself and carried with him a few photographs of his work, i had made up my mind- i would be an architect. With modernisation there came up several buildings and public utility spaces but inevitably (or so it seemed then) brought along with it the degradation of Ziro's natural beauty. And so it struck me with a revised plan- i wanted to be a landscape architect.

Architecture, as the name suggests is the art of building. However, i think it is more of a social art and technology. The final product of it being a discipline that incorporates elegance, preservation of culture and simplicity in accessing the needs of the common without compromising its sustainability. Singaporean architecture, as it is known, is an apt epitome of the same. From the hybrid shophouses to the more contemporary Esplanade- Theatres of the Bay, singapore displays blending of trends from all over the world and different eras. Apart from that, i happen to learn about the 'modern tropical' architecture that emphasises efforts to overcome concerns regarding global warming and environmental sustainablity. Pursuing bachelore of arts in architecture in National University of Singapore, i believe will be the perfect platform to hone myself with the crucial knowledge of modern architecture. Plus it would be an enriching opportunity to be in a world city like Singapore where the vibrant cultural and ethnic diversity will surely prove to be a source of intellectual exposure for me.

Presently i m in 12th std and i am yet to appear for the board examinations. I am particularly interested in biology, to be specific, in horticulture and environmental studies since my father is in horticulture department. I participated in the 16th National Children's Science Congress-2008 on the topic 'Waste Management' which proved to be quite helpful in my environmental studies. A year before that we were taken for an excursion to various cities of East and South India, regions known for its rich culture and heritage, whereby, i found the exposure to an architectural style entirely different from my home-state very informative. I also find immense pleasure in arts, though it's not a subject in my school. It may be creating bunches of flowers out of aluminium foil after the lunch break or sketching out the new plan for our new garden, i absolutely enjoy doing every bit of any job that brings out my imagination into a solid reality. Landscaping architecture being a multi-dicsiplinary field, integrating aspects of architecture, botany, horticulture, fine arts and ecology, would therefore be the course i would like to master in after graduating.

Taking into consideration all the aspects of impovising ones educational and personal experience, i feel your university and your programmes can provide all the vitals. I target to be an excellent, if not the best, architect and explore my multitude of potentials. I want to create, create wonders, and it would be a great honour if it is your institute that edifies me to achieve my goals. I look forward to an enriching learning experience and a wonderful stay at your instititution.
GrimRippah 3 / 5  
I have some comments to make.

You should make some corrections, such as writing "I" instead of "i" when talking about yourself. Your essay seems to be more appropriate as a UK statement of purpose; there, you have to write what you want to study and why you want to study that subject. Try a different approach; you have to tell a story that only you can tell. Moreover, you should write mainly about how it affected you, not about what happened.

Best of luck! :)
Capitalize the word "I"

Also, this is a good place to use a colon ----> And so it struck me with a revised plan: I wanted to be a landscape architect.

Architecture, as the name suggests is the art of building, but I think it more as a social art and technology -- the final product of it being a discipline that incorporates elegance, preservation of culture and simplicity in accessing the needs of the common society without compromising its sustainability.--- wow, you have profound ideas!Very good.

Taking into consideration all the aspects of impovising ones educational and personal experience, i feel your university and your programmes can provide all the vitals. I target intend to be an excellent, if not the best, architect and explore my multitude of potentials. ... very impressive! But can you give a few reasons why this university is better than your other options? Some details about that would add definition to your vision for the future.

I want to create, create wonders, and it would be a great honour ... very impressive.
OP bmnk 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot for the advice!!! i will surely improve on whatever u have commented on.. thanks once again for your appreciation!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / "arts in architecture" - my statement of purpose