arts-and-science focused, medium-sized, highly residential etc. /Why ROCHESTER?

xphyllisx 6 / 22 1  
This is a last minute supplement for Rochester because I didn't plan on applying, but since they gave my brother a full ride I thought I might as well give it a try and apply too.

In 125 words or less, please answer the following questions.

Why Rochester? - The University of Rochester is one of two universities listed by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as arts-and-science focused, medium-sized, and highly residential, with comprehensive PhD programs, medical schools, and very high research activity. Both offer undergraduates an unusual degree of freedom in their curriculum. Which of these characteristics (or others) are leading you to apply to Rochester?

While accompanying my brother on the day of freshman move-in, one of the students asked me "Do you attend the school?" For some reason, I had the urge to say "Yes, I do"; however, I said "No, my brother is a student". From this encounter, I realized that I significantly enjoyed the atmosphere within the campus and could actually see myself a student in the university. I felt comfortable and knew it had suitable environment for me to expand my knowledge of biological science. Also, Rochester's emphasis on research activity ensures that I will be given the opportunity to gain a more intimate understanding of biological research and is one the main reasons I am applying to the university.

Meliora: ''Ever better'' - The University's motto directs our focus toward continual improvement through learning, discovery, creativity, and enterprising collaborations among people with different points of view. Describe a ''Meliora'' experience from your life.

A "Meliora" experience in my life was when I participated in a plant science internship and met new people from different backgrounds. Essentially, I learned the components of plant science and expanded my knowledge of ecology, but more significantly, I became friends with people who practiced different religions and had different culture customs. I was also engaged with a group of people who had strong points of views regarding various topics and learn about new languages, such as Hebrew and Korean. Overall, the experience allowed me to meet different people in the Bronx and opened me to new ways of thinking and understanding others in my community.
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Myself AS a student.

' I felt comfortable and knew it had suitable environment for me to expand my knowledge of biological science.'

The bio sciences part was a bit abrupt. Try to take your last sentence about facilities and put it before?

Opened me my mind.

Overall, pretty good.

The anecdote was quite good. : )
OP xphyllisx 6 / 22 1  
Thanks for the comment! I did have a feeling the bio sentence was abrupt and was meaning to fix it

Home / Undergraduate / arts-and-science focused, medium-sized, highly residential etc. /Why ROCHESTER?