Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Arts, Sciences, Engineering + Mock Trial and Volunteering - Johns Hopkins Supp

AngelofLogic 5 / 9  
Any help would be great, especially grammar and syntax. Just do one, if you want. Thank you!

1. Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experience influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

I chose to study chemistry and biology particularly because of the way it deals with how humans interact with everything from plants to other humans to everyday compound. I have always been interested in science, but my AP chemistry class has jolted my enthusiasm towards chemistry. My teacher Mr. Feebeck showed me the importance of chemistry last year through various labs. Nothing appeals to me more than watching compounds undergo change and watching compounds react to form new compounds. Particularly one lab sparked my interest in chemistry.

As a replacement for the final exam, my teacher decided to give us large component labs. My lab was synthesizing soap through saponification, and my variable was using different types of oils as key ingredients. I tested their acidity as well as the amount of scum each type of oil produced to see which oil would produce the best soap. This lab invigorated my passion for chemistry because I was able to create an everyday item by myself. Before this, I never thought I could make soap or any household commodity on my own. I want to study chemistry because of the possibilities that it brings. If I, a novice chemist, could make soap, what could I make if I was an expert? The sky is the limit, and my flight path is through chemistry.

2. A Typical student at Johns Hopkins spends less than 15 hours each week in a classroom, leaving lots of time for volunteer opportunities, clubs and organizations, athletics, social events, and other on- and off-campus activities. Aside from the academic interests you've already expressed, in what activities do you plan to engage as an undergraduate at Johns Hopkins?

Of the myriad of opportunities at Johns Hopkins, I probably will participate in Mock Trial and volunteering. My dream activity, however, would involve an internship at Johns Hopkins. I would love to really involve myself in a medical field before fully committing to a graduate school and working and getting a feel at Johns Hopkins would be the ideal condition. From what I have read, Johns Hopkins' Mock Trial team is up and coming, going from one of the worst in the nation to a top forty power. I would like to be part of such a new, yet talented team because my high school's team is very young, but we have had a lot of success. College is so much more than just grades and classes; it is about experiencing four of the best years of your life and maximizing it. With all the opportunities Johns Hopkins provides, I know I will be able to maximize my potential, inside and outside the classroom.

Home / Undergraduate / Arts, Sciences, Engineering + Mock Trial and Volunteering - Johns Hopkins Supp