'the Ashes and Snow exhibition' - photography (intended major)

Kmatt92 2 / 3  
Prompt 1:What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

The moment I saw this photograph, I was hooked. During my sophomore year of high school I visited the Ashes and Snow exhibition by photographer Gregory Colbert in Santa Monica, California. A sepia tone photograph of a boy reading a book to an elephant in the desert held my gaze for what seemed like forever. It was then that I knew I wanted to pursue art. I convinced my mom after much debate to fund my art classes in the Saturday High program at the Pasadena Art Center College of Design. I took three classes in drawing, then four in photography. My small interest snowballed into my passion as I spent every Saturday for the rest of my high school career learning and creating at the Art Center hillside campus alongside other high school students. My constantly growing penchant for art eventually led to my decision to major in Photography and Imaging at New York University and now my intended major in art.

I currently work for New York University's Photography and Imaging Department at "The Cage"; its nickname is somewhat misleading. Located on the photography floor of the Tisch building, the Cage is an 8x20 foot room lined with equipment overflowing from each wall. I, along with a co-worker, sit facing an open counter where photo students come to rent out camera gear and darkroom supplies, or seek photo-related assistance. Last Spring, I got this job on a whim. But now working nine to fifteen hours a week, this part-time job has become a major component of my college life. I was terrified at first. There is no formal job training, so a new Cage worker has to become knowledgeable of all the equipment on their own time. Even to this day, I'm still discovering gear in the Cage I didn't know existed before. However, co-workers and upperclassmen helped me through the learning curve.

Now my responsibilities vary, from changing chemicals in darkrooms to helping a peer print a picture in the digital lab. This is why I enjoy my job so much: I'm fully immersed in my department focusing in a major I am completely passionate about. The Cage is my platform to interact with fellow photo majors as I've become friends with students of all grades. My job as a technical assistant allows me to evolve each day as an artist through involvement. With a small student body of 130, my favorite aspect of my art education is being able to collaborate with my student peers, teaching and learning, and ultimately growing together.

I learn something new everyday through the Cage; it has allowed me to become proactive about my college career and pursuing my passion. My experience has developed from merely checking-out camera equipment to fully integrating myself into the artistic community.
conorg13 - / 1  
held my gaze for what seemed like forever an eternity.

So I think it's good overall. I would change your topic sentence... I can see what you're trying to do with it but it comes off as a kind of weak attempt to apply a literary technique.

Also maybe come up with a stronger concluding sentence? You want to really send your essay off with a bang.

Well, good luck with everything.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the Ashes and Snow exhibition' - photography (intended major)