What aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you? My Why Northwestern? essay sounds so generic

lsa990105 1 / 1  
Other parts of your application give us a sense for how you might contribute to Northwestern. But we also want to consider how Northwestern will contribute to your interests and goals. In 300 words or less, help us understand what aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you, and how you'll make use of specific resources and opportunities here (300 max)

how Northwestern will contribute to your interests and goals?

Here is my essay-- I currently have 324 words:
Northwestern was the first university that I got to know upon arriving in the United States when I was 7th grade. Northwestern was the university where my mom's friend's son attended, who back then was the smartest person I knew in person. From that point on, I have always had this vague idea of "I want to attend Northwestern," and this became concrete when I visited Northwestern last fall. The campus immediately caught my eyes and the students walking around wearing the "purple pride" t-shirts made me want to be part of the school spirit culture. With some extra research after the tour, I am certain that Northwestern will support me to major in chemistry.

The most appealing part of Northwestern to me is its quarter system. Even though I have set my mind to study chemistry in my sophomore year, other subjects like physics and math have always been my favorites. The flexibility that the quarter system gives to me will enable me to take more classes that appeal to me than the semester system. I will also be able to study Japanese, which has been my long dream, possibly as a minor, while enjoying and learning from a variety of courses that I want. I especially look forward to taking courses like Materials and Nanochemistry and Medicinal Chemistry where I will be able to see the application of chemistry into other areas.

As I searched the Northwestern website, another thing that stood out was Residential College, where students can learn constantly. I am particularly interested in Slivka Residential College of Science and Engineering, as it perfectly fits my interests. By living in the same building with students who are studying similar fields and attending a variety of events, I will be able to establish a professional network, be exposed to new ideas, and have a built-in support system.

With all the resources, Northwestern will best prepare me for whatever path I choose in the future.

---
Northwestern is definitely a reach school for me, but at the same time, it is one of my top choices. Because of that, I really want to write this essay well but it seems like the worst essay I've ever written for college apps.

I wrote about some of the top reasons why I want to attend Northwestern, but I feel like everyone will have the same reasons.
I will really appreciate any comments and feedback. Thank you!
WileECoyote - / 2  
The best paragraph in your essay is the one about the residential college. It's very focused, specific, concrete about a how a very specific feature of the school will benefit you in a very specific, big picture way --- your long-term career goals, and your desire to optimize your learning by being immersed in a rich intellectual environment that is specific to your chosen field of study.

My suggestion is to strive to find other examples that are equally as powerful.
Manal99 1 / 3  
Try to add some programs that you are interested in to the essay and explain why they are unique .Not only a system.
lees, the truth of the matter is that the applicants tend to really say the same things in their application. Which is why you have to make sure that your presentation will immediately catch the eye of the reviewer and offer up information that he may consider to be unique in approach. Remember, this is a written interview and there will not be a formal interview so you need to make sure that your response is not only on the mark, but interesting in presentation. With that said, since you are not being asked as to when and how you first learned about Northwestern, your opening statement become superfluous. It is important that you give a direct response to the prompt question from the very first sentence that you write. By getting to the point sooner, you do not waste the reviewers time. If you don't get your point across within the first 2 sentences, he is most likely to set aside your application. Don't leave the actual response for the second paragraph. A direct response always starts in the first paragraph. In my opinion, once you cast aside the unneeded current first paragraph, there is no editing left to do with this essay. The essay is totally responsive and unique in presentation from the second paragraph onwards.
OP lsa990105 1 / 1  
@WileECoyote
@Manal99
Thank you for your comments. Because the quarter system is one of the biggest reasons for me, I decided to keep it but I added some more so that it applies to me.

Yeah, your comment totally makes sense. I felt like I needed some sort of an "introduction," but the first paragraph does not fit the prompt-- I took it out. Thanks a lot!

Home / Undergraduate / What aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you? My Why Northwestern? essay sounds so generic