I have aspired to attend UW Madison for years and now I finally have the chance to apply; Statement

paigeo78 2 / 2  
Prompt: Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.

I have aspired to attend UW Madison for years and now I finally have the chance to apply. Living just 40 minutes away from campus and having two parents who graduated from the university, I have been exposed to Madison my whole life. With my background knowledge, I think Madison is the ideal school because it combines an excellent pharmacy school, study abroad programs, and student government with a beautiful city and campus.

I currently want to major in Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Madison is one of the few schools that have that major as an option. The UW School of Pharmacy is one of the top pharmacy schools in the country, so I know that I'll be getting an outstanding education. To further enhance my learning, I will definitely take advantage of one of the countless research opportunities that are available at Madison. Research allows students to gain experience in their career field and be a part of new discoveries.

Travelling the world has always been one of my dreams, and I plan to take advantage of UW Madison's study abroad program to help fulfill that dream. While studying abroad, students develop an understanding of global issues, learn new languages, and undergo personal growth. Spanish has always been one of my favorite subjects, and I want to become fluent in reading, writing, and speaking it. Being fluent in Spanish will be an important skill to have in the future as more and more of the population speaks Spanish, and studying abroad in a Hispanic country will help me achieve that goal.

I have been the treasurer of my class at Sauk Prairie High School the past four years, and I want to continue to be a part of student government at UW Madison. Organizations like the student council bring diverse groups of students together and help unite the entire student body. Being involved in the student council by attending meetings and volunteering at school events will be a great way to meet new people.

I experienced UW Madison from a young age, when I attended an art camp there the summer after my 5th grade year. We occupied one of the science buildings on University Ave, walked everywhere on campus, and I even had my own Wiscard for a week. Since then, my interest in Madison has only increased. From the exceptional School of Pharmacy to countless study abroad options to the opportunities in the student council, I believe that UW Madison is the place where I will not only live, but thrive.
Paige, there are just a few minor problems to deal with before your paper is finally ready for submission :-) Mostly related to the need to plug some possible holes / questions in your statement.

I think Madison is the ideal school because it combines an excellent pharmacy school, study abroad programs, and student government with a beautiful city and campus.

- Never say anything in a personal statement that gives a hint of uncertainty. You must always be sure and definite about the words you use because this is a preliminary interview. Exude confidence in yourself. Change I think to I believe :-)

- As a pharma student, how will traveling the world using the study abroad program of UW help you achieve your goals? Shouldn't you remain in the U.S. to complete your studies? Explain your reason for wanting to study abroad in relation to your major. That is important since your major does not seem like it offers a real chance to immerse yourself in travel. Is there a pharma program abroad your want to be a part of?

- How will you help develop the student community as a part of the student government? How can you bring something new to the student circle and how will that help you develop as a person and future pharmacist?

- This is a strong closing statement. It may need to be enhanced or revised though depending upon whether you decide to take my advice about enhancing the content of your paper or not :-)
rimazzyousiff 2 / 6 1  
A very important part I learned when writing these prompts is to stress the fact that this is the school for you, never say "I think UW-Madison is the school", let them know that IT IS the school for you, that you want to be and you see yourself a part of the school. Picture yourself already there and write like you attend the school already. Good luck in your applications!!!

Home / Undergraduate / I have aspired to attend UW Madison for years and now I finally have the chance to apply; Statement