(an aspiring communications major) Boston University Supplement

emilyc28 5 / 33  
In no more than 1250 characters, please tell us why BU is a good fit for you and what specifically has led you to apply for admission?

Any criticism is appreciated! Thank you.

Boston University has everything an aspiring communications major can ask for. I felt an unequivocal connection after researching the university's programs. Most colleges do not offer specialized fields in undergrad communications; however this university offers many with unique focuses. BU's Communication Studies provide an innovative approach to an examination of topics. Students are challenged through a multitude of perspectives by using comprehension, analysis, and experience in various internships.

As someone who wishes to expand their horizons in the field, BU's surroundings are impeccable. At the heart of a diverse and historic city, BU allows students to experience a culturally rich city life filled with opportunity. Boston is one of the ten largest media markets in the U.S, an ideal scene for pursuing a communications career.

I will receive an exceptional education at BU. Courses are taught by accomplished professors in a small student-teacher ratio. Upon graduation, the knowledge and practice I've accumulated will transcend into the workforce. Graduates are equipped with a notable education and copious life skills, the perfect foundation I need to succeed in the communications field. BU is truly where I want to be.
Premed0 5 / 10 1  
Emily, I don't mean to be harsh, but your essay is rather plain and is not very specific to you as an individual. The question is why YOU would fit well at Boston University so make yourself the focus of the essay and surround your interests/qualities with features of BU that complement them. Also, you talk about too many things in one short essay. I recommend sticking to a couple ideas and making them come to life rather than scratching the surface of five different ideas.

All the best to you in your pursuits...and by the way, grammar seemed to be flawless although a second opinion might be necessary.
OP emilyc28 5 / 33  
How should I incorporate more about me into this essay?
Premed0 5 / 10 1  
Well, when I read it, it comes across as an essay about BU, not you. So, focus less on the many nice features of BU and check the wording so it doesn't seem like you are solely praising BU.

"Students are challenged through a multitude of perspectives by using comprehension, analysis, and experience in various internships" - (This is also a rather broad statement)

Rather, center it around your nice qualities and how BU will only complement your strengths and help you grow.

I hope that helps. I can't say much without knowing you XD.

Home / Undergraduate / (an aspiring communications major) Boston University Supplement