Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'astronomical concepts' - CUNY HONORS ESSAY

rezwan3 7 / 19 4  
The bell rang as the harbinger of life. My heart starts beating faster and faster as I anxiously wait for the numerous activities to come and hoping to learn something new. As I rush to the physics room for my Astronomy Club, I reflect upon all the academic pressure that I received throughout the day, and then with a smile of relief I enter the room.

With a curious complexion, I ask the club administrator about the activities of the day. Sometimes it would be some fun hands on activities concerning astronomy and sometimes, announcements of events and trips. But the most riveting and enthralling avocation was looking through the telescope. Telescopes serve as a window for the inconceivable: the beauty of the universe. Whenever I look through our telescope, the dazzling beauty of the universe fills me with satisfaction and fuels my determination to study science and understand how it governs the cosmos.

When observing Jupiter's four moons, the Orion constellation and the Milky Way Cloud , I simultaneously felt a great sense of individuality and purpose. As above the earth's atmosphere, the whole cosmos is one of complete silence with nothing interrupting it's purpose. This made me realize and recognize the need to be individually focused on my life's goal of understanding the physical universe.

Dazzled by the elegance and beauty of the nature of our cosmos, I sometimes forget about my responsibilities towards the club. That's when one of the club members taps my shoulder and asks me, "So what are you presenting today?". Then the sense of duty hits me and I earnestly engage myself in taking the driver's seat as the president of the club.

When presenting on astronomical concepts to the club, I would often feel frustrated and annoyed by the ambiguous nature of science as the club members bombarded me with questionnaires. I would often feel hopeless and irresponsible for leading the club. But then I would say to myself, "Isn't that the delicacy of science?". Therefore despite the frustration and difficulties inherent in scientific study, I cannot retreat myself from the goal of attaining universal understanding.

At the end of the day, students leave the club with a new perspective of the universe; and hopes to get a new one next week. Even though next week may seem light years away, my overriding need to understand the universe will always make it seem ephemeral. As I leave the room, I reflect upon the things that I learned that day and smile with a positive complexion for the things that I will learn in various other clubs tomorrow.

Home / Undergraduate / 'astronomical concepts' - CUNY HONORS ESSAY