'Not athletic' - Common App short answer extracurricular - football

fink1318 1 / 6  
I feel like the limitation 150 words makes this response almost hollow - I dont think I could write a full essay on the subject, but does anybody think something is lacking in this essay? Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Playing football is a passion of mine, but it has not always been. In fact, many people, including myself, do not even consider me to be an athletic person. I joined my school's six man football team in my sophomore year because I wanted to try something new and different. Although it was challenging at first, I eventually learned the ropes and was able to keep up with the rest of the team, occasionally earning a play or two into some of the games. After playing the sport for 2 years and currently participating in my third year, I have gained a lot of respect for football and the values it has taught me. I have learned to push myself to be a stronger person (both physically and mentally), I have learned about the importance of teamwork to achieve success, and above all else, I have learned that challenging myself with different activities has great rewards.
Playing football is a passion of mine, but it has not always been. In fact, many people, including myself, do not even consider me to be an athletic person. I joined my school's six man football team in my sophomore year because I wanted to try something new and different. Although it was challenging at first, I eventually learned the ropes and was able to keep up with the rest of the team, occasionally earning a play or two into some of the games. After playing the sport for 2 years and currently participating in my third year, I have gained a lot of respect for football and the values it has taught me. I have learned to push myself to be a stronger person (both physically and mentally), and to appreciate the importance of teamwork to achieve success, and above all else, I have learned that challenging myself with different activities has great rewards.

There, now you have some more room to talk about what values, specifically, playing the sport has taught you, which will give you the substance you feel, correctly, that the essay currently lacks.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Not athletic' - Common App short answer extracurricular - football