"Attack Life"-Stanford Intellectual Vitality Essay

Rajman333 2 / 15  
The prompt is:
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development Characters available 2000

I decided to start off with a quote, and build on that. This is what i came up with. I'm not sure that i answer the prompt, or if i'm saying anything at all and merely beating around the bush. What do you guys think? ANY Feedback is welcome.

Someone once said, "Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway". Life is thrown at you when you're brought into the world, and it's an uphill battle from there on. The days when you feel "This is the greatest day in my life!" are just the times when your brain has taken pity on itself and all the stress that it goes through, and is just giving itself some relaxation time. When you sleep, your brain is at the gym, training and preparing for the next day, making sure you don't draw a blank at the shootout. Don't get me wrong, the experiences life brings us are amazing, and irreplaceable, but this doesn't erase the fact that most of life is spent working hard (whether it be school, office, college, etc.) so you're happy later on in life. When are we happy? We spend our time in elementary school to do well in high school, high school to do well in college, college to get a good job, a good job to support ourselves and our family, and the list goes on and on. When do we get to look back at our lives and recollect the good memories, and relax because there's no more strife ahead? Life seems to be a burden at all times, always giving us things to worry about. For example, once I finish this essay, I have another project to worry about, and then another test, and then some homework to do. For this reason, we must "attack" life, and not give thought or dissent to the obstacles in our path. We must charge right through the barriers, and take on challenges as they come, because it will never be easy. When life is contested, the pleasure and enjoyment of triumph becomes much sweeter, only pushing us to do even better. Now we come to the second part of the quote. After retiring, I suppose I will look back at my life, and because I've realized the pain, I will have taken the right decisions. I won't have any regrets, and I'll be happy to have done what I could accomplish, and let life complete its cycle, because as Robert Frost would say, "Nothing gold can stay".
DesiGirl 9 / 52  
I like the realization a lot but when you're talking about school and college and projects, it sounds like you're complaining about it so I would change the tone. When you talk about "attacking" life, from there on, it's great but has no connection with your complaints. It would, however, if you worded the string of life's events better. Otherwise, it's perfect :D !!
stargirlpanda 2 / 2  
This is a great idea, but I think you are "beating around the prompt" a bit. I think they are looking more for an example of how an experince has complemented your intellectual development. Your essay is a bit too generalizing for the prompt.

Hope this helps, and I am writing my own essay for Stanford. Best of luck!
programmerguy - / 3  
I agree with stargirlpanda. I think you should focus on a specific experience and wrap your theme around that experience. I'm writing this essay as well. Good luck to all the Stanford applicants!

Home / Undergraduate / "Attack Life"-Stanford Intellectual Vitality Essay