Why I want to attend Carnegie Mellon that "chose me."

ZeroCool2u 2 / 9  
Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon and your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

I did not choose Carnegie Mellon University. Rather, it chose me. I remain agnostic with regard to my belief in fate, but if prompted to provide proof for the concept I have no doubt I would use my discovery of Carnegie Mellon as my primary evidence. From the unique belief the school holds in emphasizing connections with strict empirical science and the free flow of the ambiguous arts which closely relates to my life experience with both subjects to the seemingly insignificant details that oddly link to my own life, such as the Gates Center which is named after my rather unlikely childhood hero Bill Gates. The connections are uncanny.

I have a passion for technology and electronics that I have yet to see matched by any of my peers. Although some hold an avid interest in a specific technological field or retain a wealth of knowledge within such a field I have yet to encounter one who maintains both or actively engages this interest and knowledge. For example I have peers that are fascinated by computers but understand very little about them. In contrast I have peers that are extremely knowledgeable about computers, but lack the interest or passion to actively engage that knowledge like myself. I first began to understand this when in sixth grade my mother became sick of buying me Lego sets and then not playing with them after I had finished building them. In an effort find a project that I would frequently use post construction and since I had expressed an interest in computers from a young age she challenged me to build a computer. I researched, planned, and budgeted for my new system. This took place from the beginning of the school year until Christmas. I used all the money I received from Christmas and later on in March from my birthday to obtain the required parts and soon after completed my system. I know that many others just like me exist and I long to find them. I believe I will encounter many of these at Carnegie Mellon. Both the School of Computer Science and Carnegie Institute of Technology can provide me with not only the peers to intellectually stimulate me, but also the knowledge, skill, and resources to fully realize my potential. The Tepper School of Business can also allow me to fully realize my full potential but in addition would allow me to pursue the business related aspects of my passion improving my ability to spread my ideas and products throughout the world.

Although I am not sure of precisely what I would like to do with my career I do know that during and after my studies I would like to directly integrate my deep passion for technological advancement with my business skills. I see myself creating or working for the next revolutionary technology start up that changes the world. Possibly the next Microsoft, Google, or facebook.

Although academia is of course the primary focus when attending school, athletics certainly has a significant place in college. After consulting with the coaches I am confident I will be able to contribute to the already impressive athletic legacy during my studies at Carnegie Mellon by competing on the varsity level in swimming.

I am certain that studying at Carnegie Mellon will allow me to achieve all my goals and aspirations for the future and that I will be able to make significant contributions back to the school in both academia and sports. This multitude of characteristics that makes for excellence in academics and athletics leads me to the conclusion that Carnegie Mellon is a perfect fit for me, and I for it.
swoosh18 4 / 40  
I did not choose Carnegie Mellon University. Rather, it chose me. I remain agnostic with regard to my belief in fate, but if prompted to provide proof for the concept I have no doubt I would use my discovery of Carnegie Mellon as my primary evidence. From the unique belief the school holds in emphasizing connections with strict empirical science and the free flow of the ambiguous arts which closely relates to my life experience with both subjects, to the seemingly insignificant details that oddly link to my own life, such as the Gates Center which is named after my rather unlikely childhood hero Bill Gates. I'm not sure what punctuation to put here. Either a comma or semicolon, but not a period, which makes it a sentence fragment. The connections are uncanny.

F acebook

please help me with my essays which are also due tonight. thanks

Home / Undergraduate / Why I want to attend Carnegie Mellon that "chose me."