Why do you want to attend NYU Abu Dhabi? essay

hodari 2 / 3  
I want to apply to New York University's new 'portal campus', NYU Abu Dhabi, and part of my portfolio has to include a 250 word essay on why I want to attend NYU Abu Dhabi. I have written part of it but I'm running out of impressive phrases to express why it's the choice for me. Here's what i have so far:

New York University brings to mind highly desirable characteristics in an academic institution, like top class education, rich cultural diversity, and groundbreaking research. With the opening of NYU's new branch in Abu Dhabi right here in my own backyard, it is now possible for me to experience the above attributes. I will be able to mingle with fellow global citizens and contribute significantly to the global network that NYU Abu Dhabi enthusiastically designed. It is indeed an ambitious project that I am determined to be part of. Not only will I acquire an intercultural education in Abu Dhabi, I will also be exposed to diverse customs, cultures, and lifestyles across all the continents of the world during my semesters abroad. Another thing that attracts me to NYU Abu Dhabi is the low student to faculty ratio. This will enable closer relationships between me and the lecturers as well as fellow classmates. I will be on the receiving end of a constant supply of inspiration, advice, and knowledge. As an engineering major student, I will be using all the new cutting-edge technology in state-of-the-art laboratories. I am confident that graduating from NYU Abu Dhabi will make me ready to face and overcome all challenges this world has to offer.

any ideas?
SouthernBella 1 / 5  
What you have so far is pretty good. If you want to add answering: What will you be studying at the portal campus? What past experiences have equiped you/lead you to take on that field of study? I know it has to be short, but I thought that maybe saying what you want to study and why, would be a good addition to what you already have. Good luck!
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
New York University brings to mind highly desirable characteristics in an academic institution, like top class education, rich cultural diversity, and groundbreaking research.

the like top class... is a bit broken off from the the previous phrase. seems like you're saying: this university brings to mind great qualities in a school, like lalala... Restructure.

Abu Dhabi, right here <no comma>

Not only will I acquire an intercultural education in Abu Dhabi, I will be exposed to diverse customs, cultures, and lifestyles across all the continents of the world during my semesters abroad.

not only will I ..., but I will also... What do you mean by semesters abroad? you plan to study abroad yes? as Toni said, mention about what you want to do at NYU Abu Dhabi. Does NYU Abu Dhabi have those specific notions/characteristics you set forth in the beginning? as for ideas, what else about studying at a university under this prestigious name is a motivation to study there? what does it really offer. solid, concrete notions examples may help
OP hodari 2 / 3  
this is a later draft. I'm still working on the things u suggested Jon.

could u give me an example on how I can restructure the opening sentence?

as for ideas, what else about studying at a university under this prestigious name is a motivation to study there? what does it really offer. solid, concrete

I want to add something without looking as though I just took ideas from their prospectus.
Also, along with this, I have to write 300 word essays on 2 of the 4 topics below:

1. NYU and NYU Abu Dhabi talk about our globally connected world . What does this mean to you, and what things do you think we can learn from each other ?

2. "Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions." - Albert Einstein. What do you see as your life's "coming attractions" over the next four years ?

3. Have you ever made a meaningful intellectual discovery? What was it, and why was it important to your life?

4. " Everybody thinks of changing humanity, and nobody thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy. How do you think your experience at NYU Abu Dhabi would change you as a person ?

All of them except option #3 are similar to the "Why do u want to attend NYU Abu Dhabi" essay, just more personal.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  

When I hear NYU, my mind brings to the fore those characteristics high desirable in an institution: top class education, rich cultural diversity, and groundbreaking research. :? maybe
New York University brings to mind is appealing because of its highly desirable characteristics, in an academic institution, including top class education, rich cultural diversity, and groundbreaking research.-----> right here, if you claim they have groundbreaking research, you should name some of that important research that applies to your chosen field. Don't just say groundbreaking research or you sound like a brochure.

This would be a more meaningful discussion if you named 2 or 3 alternatives to this school and tel why this school is preferable to them. Right now, it sounds like a brochure...

Home / Undergraduate / Why do you want to attend NYU Abu Dhabi? essay