'want to attend the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences' - Northwestern Supplement

SamIChoi 1 / -  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Northwestern Statement
My Uncle always told me that I should apply to Northwestern. He used to always tell me about its great education system, its great professors and its great economics program. Everything he told me made Northwestern sound like an amazing school except that I needed more than just those three appetizers to cause me to really fall for this university. After looking into Northwestern, I realized that Northwestern had everything I desired in a university. One aspect that struck me was its student diversity. I love learning about new cultures and sharing my culture with others. I believe that the best way to live life is with constant clashes of colors. Always being immersed in differing viewpoints, differing traditions, differing ideas blooms new ideas and improves intellectual diversity. This aspect was a large factor in my decision for applying to Northwestern. With this I hope to meet plenty of new people and increase my knowledge of differing cultures. I hope to join the Asian American Student Affairs group and become a major part of the group. Another quality of Northwestern that I liked was that it accepts AP credit. This benefits me because I took many AP exams and received high marks on them. Therefore, I can use these scores for my betterment and I can graduate earlier and take less courses. The third and final aspect of Northwestern that dragged me in was the number of clubs and extracurricular activities Northwestern has to offer. It is massive. I am an active person and I enjoy participating in sports, especially soccer, so when I saw that Northwestern had a soccer club along with tournaments, I was already writing out the check. But student diversity, AP credit, and soccer aren't the only reasons why I decided to apply to Northwestern.

I want to attend the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences. I liked the challenge posed by its entrance rate. Only about 1080 freshman are picked out of about 12,000 freshmen every year. That is about a 9% chance for me to make it into this undergraduate college. This obstacle makes me want to get in even more. I am always up for a challenge and I am confident I can overcome this one and get accepted. This benefits me because it shows me that the classes will be small so then there will be a greater teacher-to-student relationship which I think aids students. Having a better relationship with the teacher will make it easier for me to talk with him/her about the course, about research, and etc. It will help me excel in my classes. The other quality that stuck out was the Weinberg College Advisors aspect of this college. In the past 4 years, I have always gone to my counselor whenever I needed help or advice about school or colleges or anything. My counselor was always able to give me the right answers every time and was an invaluable asset that aided me through my high school life. So, when I saw the Weinberg College Advisors link on the site, I knew that his college was right for me. These advisors are just like my counselor. I will use their knowledge and guidance to help me succeed at Northwestern.
brainop - / 5  
Admissions officers don't want to read about your scores, your AP exams, or about their own school's acceptance rate in your personal essay. I would recommend giving yourself a few hours to think creatively about this prompt.

Here is a link to an article on how to come up with a creative essay:

Home / Undergraduate / 'want to attend the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences' - Northwestern Supplement