(My aunt took me to the hospital) - What attracts me to the study of engineering?

krum93 1 / 2  
What attracts me to the study of engineering? (1500 characters)

When I was a kid, my aunt used to take me with her to the hospital at which she worked. She was a nurse, and her job was to take care of the children and soldiers who were victims of anti-personnel mines. Colombia, the nation in which I was born and raised, has been living a civil war for many years, and the mines are one of the tactics that the guerrillas groups utilize to kill soldiers. The problem is that these groups put them near rural towns, and it is relatively easy for a small kid to step into one. The result is thousands of kids dead, or mutilated. I remember looking at kids, same age as me, without an arm, foot, and even legs. I asked my aunt if they would be able to walk or play like normal kids someday, and she said that maybe if they could buy orthopedic devices or prosthesis, but because these were really expensive it was unlikely to happen. At that moment, I realized that I wanted to find a way to help those kids. This is how I became attracted to the study of engineering and biomedical in particular, for I know that with my work and research I can improve the living conditions of thousands of kids, and at the same time assist my community by applying my knowledge. Engineers are creative and curious individuals, and they are always trying to make life easier. By studying engineering, I would be able to fulfill my passion which is help and make a difference in the world.
ingenium 5 / 13  
I liked the essay! It just needs to be polished up a bit

a small kid to step intoon one

Try to make it more concise and maybe give an example of how you can help?

Edit mine? Please
sidsaboo 1 / 9  
Hey,
Its a great essay.. and i love the last 2 lines. but yeah in certain it could do with a bit polishing... you could try starting it being a lil dramatic , maybe this would catch the attention of the reader.

Something like... Mutated limbs, Cut arms and dead kids, maybe my age and some even younger. These are the images which come flashing to me when i think about the trips i used to take with my aunt... then carry on.

Anyways thanks for your help in my thread.
Best of luck

Home / Undergraduate / (My aunt took me to the hospital) - What attracts me to the study of engineering?