My autistic sister - majored in unafraid

sarahadams 11 / 22  
tell us a time when you "majored in unafraid"?

To "major in unafraid" is a metaphor that is used to encourage others to challenge their minds and learn how beautiful a challenged mind is. To me, I "major in unafraid" with my autistic sister. Having an autistic sister taught me to become an open minded and unbiased person. Since my sister is nonverbal I try to think of ways to better our communications so I started to teach her sign language. One of the characteristics of autistics is that they become impatient and with that I challenge myself to think of ways to teach her sign language in an entertaining way so that she does not reject what I am teaching her. Knowing it takes time for her to adjust to new words; it taught me to not give up on her and continue to teach words that she had forgotten. By spending lots of time with Ashwag I learned to study her body language which gives me a better understanding on what she is feeling. Having an autistic member in the family is a blessing to me because if it was not for Ashwag then I would probably not be as open minded and as willing to be challenged in life as I am today.
morr_j23 1 / 6  
"Since my sister is nonverbal I try to think of ways to better our communications so I started to teach her sign language. " This is a good thought, but I think it would be better reworded a little differently. Try something along the lines of "Since my sister is nonverbal, I decided to teach her sign language to better our communication." It's simpler and clearer.

"One of the characteristics of autistics is that they become impatient and with that I challenge myself to think of ways to teach her sign language in an entertaining way so that she does not reject what I am teaching her." It's a little too long and wordy. Try this. "One of the characteristics of autistics is that they become impatient easily. With this challenge, I tried to think of ways to teach her sign language in an entertaining way so she can keep her focus longer."

The rest of it is good. Is this supposed to be an essay? It's really short. It's a good start, though! Keep up the work.
Anuar KZ 2 / 4  
Oh... I don't even know you. But this essay is great, and it is not just essay it is a story. It is so brave that you help to your sister.

Home / Undergraduate / My autistic sister - majored in unafraid