'I have been an average student'; SOP - Good, Bad or Ugly

Vin23 1 / -  

Lack of Degree

Of the many fields in business, I am interested in the study of bachelors in business management and I plan to take up my major in the field of management. After completing my high school and my 12th standard I enrolled in a bachelors programme. However I was unable to complete my studies due to unforeseen circumstances and moved into a professional working environment. I thoroughly enjoyed the start of my career and gained significant experience by working for various departments and dealing with international clients on a daily basis.

But the lack of a degree was something that I yearned for a long time. This proved to be a hindrance when it came to promotions or getting job interviews and also being passed on due to a lack of a degree. This was an opportunity for me to seize and take a break from my professional career to pursue my long cherished dream of studying and earning my degree. It is after a good deal of self-evaluation that I have decided to pursue my graduate studies in the field of Business management that may lead to an MBA in the future. This decision followed naturally after carefully considering my academic background, the areas of my interest, and my ultimate professional ambition, which is to pursue an MBA.

Through my academic studies I have been an average student. After commencing and completing my diploma in business studies and business management I have believed that I can achieve better scores. I have decided to go in for graduate a study which does call for a personal commitment .In short, I believe that a good undergraduate program is an essential step for realizing my professional ambition of becoming a competent manager. I also believe that I possess the motivation, intellectual ability and preparation to do justice to a demanding undergraduate program.

I look forward to joining aaa University as an undergraduate student...
Lakshyadeep, this is a good draft for a statement of purpose. You need to make adjustments in your essay in terms of the way that your academic experience in business and management was replaced by actual work experience. You need to go into greater detail as to the reasons why you were unable to complete your prior college education stint. Since you are what could be considered as a "dropout", the fact that you wish to continue your studies is a very important factor in your application. If you can highlight your work experience first, then the reasons as to why you require a college diploma will take a more imperative turn. At the moment, there are no extenuating circumstances that could convince the reviewer that the purpose of your application is a necessary part of your current job requirement. Your second paragraph slightly deals with this topic but you did not build the conflict enough in the paragraph to warrant the need for a diploma. At this point, your concern should not be pursuing an MBA yet. Rather, the focus of your purpose should be self-improvement in order to gain more professional opportunities. The MBA will come far down the road, possibly after 2-5 years work experience. So there is no need to present that target for yourself at the moment. While it does prove a sincerity on your part in relation to gaining a degree, it is not the end goal of your undergraduate studies. The end game of the undergraduate studies is first and foremost, to find a good job or, to secure future promotions. Discuss your future career plans in relation to your undergraduate completion instead. Close the essay by explaining why this university in particular will be able to help you achieve your future professional goals. Remember, you have the practical experience already. All you need to do is explain why you still need the theoretical basis of learning at the moment.
only1shubham 1 / 2  
I think it needs little bit of work.... try to include some instances some instances and examples from your life and you need to better the flow of essay.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I have been an average student'; SOP - Good, Bad or Ugly