Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Baba Yetu, Baba Yetu & Art through God, and diversity - CommonApp Personal

polk540 5 / 16  
Prompt:
A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.

First draft, it is erroneous and random but please revise mine.
I appreciate it.

Askance: relating the song with the content. Be certain on the question. Be clear on explaining my experience. Not be repetitive. Associate different themes into one big picture

-----------------------------------------------------
Baba yetu, Yesu uliye
(Our Father, Jesus who art)
Mbinguni yetu, Yesu amina!
(in Heaven. Amen!)
- Baba Yetu (Our Father)

When my iPod is beating Baba Yetu, the Swahili version of the Lord's Prayer, the African rhythm and soulful voice enrich my soul. The song always reminds me of how my environment affects me and why I study abroad here in the United States. I not only am influenced by but also influence the environment; by providing creativity and religious beliefs, I provide diversity to the community.

I hum the song, believing Jesus who "art." Even if 99.9% of people would say the word, art, simply means "are" in old English. I believe it to be different: art means art. Mrs. East, my former AP American History teacher, shared the idea of her mission to Uganda; we enthusiastically talked about the humanitarian and religious causes. She guided me to use my artistic ability to help people who cannot help themselves. I had had restrained the definition of art as fine arts that are simply aesthetic. My perspective changes with different environment; now I think the art more deeply and differently. Studying different subjects such as Spanish, architecture, industrial design, English, and Jazz, I began to open my mind to different worlds where unique people aggregate with their zeal. I accepted such diverse worlds and found myself: I am no more reticent and weak, but there is cool and unique person named Josh who is hugged by God and friends.

I had had worried even before I saw an opportunity. As an immigrant from South Korea who now lives in the Deep South Alabama, I faced difficulties from language and culture. Mother tongue is different; philosophy and lifestyle are unique in each type of person, and they conflict with each others'. But I noticed that many minors have same problems. The poor, elderly, colored, and emigrated people seem they don't belong to the American world. I was determined on my future: helping those who cannot help themselves. I began to realize my potentials and rely on Father Lord to use me in his way.

Having a Korean, humanitarian, and conservative backgrounds, I blended my natures to help the impoverished society. Not just seeing destitution, I related my academic zeal and experiences. From voluntary works and studying arts, I have developed my soul that would provide diversity to a college community. It is not just my ethnicity, but it is my true nature given by God. My passion of architecture and the ethnic studies allows me to continue my soul beating. It is time to widen my perspective and effectively utilize my natures in a college community.

I saw a similarity between Mayan people, whom I worked a mission for, and me: reclusive to foreigners, but creative and reliable to their true friends. In Mexico, I saw desperate people who need their shelter; last week, I designed a church for them; today at the school, I meet with unique and diverse people whom I can associate with; Today, I play Baba Yetu with piano and appreciated that God gives me opportunities to learn and help the world, which will be continued in my college years and future; This Sunday, I believe in Lord Father.

Home / Undergraduate / Baba Yetu, Baba Yetu & Art through God, and diversity - CommonApp Personal