My "Band of Brothers" - University of Michigan

ac2011 3 / 10  
This is the first supplement essay for University of Michigan. Edits and suggestions are appreciated!
Prompt:
1) Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words.) <---HATE word limits...

The community I belong in is the *high school name* Robotics Team, and they are the most close-knit group of people I have ever known. I could even say the team is like a brotherhood. My place started freshman year as a new member. I was one of three new members that year and was therefore nicknamed "newbie #2" from a random drawing of straws. The older members were like mentors to me. Really nice and really supportive, fun to hang out with, all of us could talk for hours about anything from video-games to the philosophy of life. Everyone in the club loves robotics whether it's playing with Lego's to create a crazy design, or programming wacky antics for the robots to perform. When I came back for a second year during my junior year, I was welcomed back in open arms even after taking sophomore year off to do volunteer work. New and old members were present and even then I felt at home like I was never gone. Being known for my organization skills, I became the club's first secretary in charge of communications and scheduling of club meetings, and I stepped in as temporary leader when the Captains were occupied. This way I really got to connect to people in the club and befriend them. Some of my closest friends now were from befriending them in the club. As a senior, I was nominated to become a Captain of the team as a Senior Programmer. In a sense, I have become one of the mentors for newer members. We are together for the good and bad times. We are a band of brothers.
Carban93 2 / 5  
The community I belong in is the *high school name* Robotics Team, and they{delete} (insert) we are the most close-knit group of people I have ever known. I could even say the team is like a brotherhood.(You should just say that you are a brotherhood. Do not use could because you that say that you are a brotherhood throughout the whole paragraph.)
OP ac2011 3 / 10  
Thanks for the suggestion, anyone have any other edits/suggestions?...
OP ac2011 3 / 10  
bump again...I would really appreciate any more feedback...
Olya 1 / 2  
Sorry that I cant check your essay the way you did mine :( But I read yours and I really liked it.

Thanks again for correcting mine!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / My "Band of Brothers" - University of Michigan