'Band Team Leader' - participation in extracurricular activities

emanic 2 / 3  
What have you learned from your experience(s)?

I know this is really, really, really rough. I'm just looking for tips such as how to make it flow better, ideas for a decent intro, etc. before I type up a (very) revised version. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Though my history in volunteering is not extensive, the experiences I've gained through helping in the community are quite so. In volunteering at the soup kitchen, one of the more comprehensive projects I worked on was collecting, sorting, and delivering used clothing from members of the community to the soup kitchen. In doing so, I not only recycled clothing that would have otherwise gone to waste in the back of a closet and eventually, the bottom of a landfill, but also the compassion of the members in my community. The clothing donated will have vastly impacted the lives of those in need; perhaps a donated suit was worn by someone to a job interview, and aided in impressing a potential employer into hiring them, thus improving their unfavorable financial situation. This project also impacted myself as well, in that I realized how easy it is for members of a community to reach out to those in need by doing something as simple as donating. Most people have a misconception about helping in the community, thinking that it requires more time and energy than they may have. However, in reality, even the smallest act of compassion can set of a chain reaction and touch the lives of countless people in need.

Also throughout my high school career, I have been an active member in band. This year, I was chosen through an application and interview process as a Band Team Leader for marching season. Just a few of my responsibilities were instructing the freshmen, making sure music was memorized, working on drill, observing and helping members of my section with their marching, and solving disputes between section members. Through this, I believe one of the most important things I learned is simply that patience is vital. It does one no good to get upset with someone because their marching isn't up to standard. Instead, working with them to improve whatever may be lacking not only helps increase their confidence and make the band better as a whole, but it helps avoid needless tensions and conflict. I also experienced first-hand how, as the saying goes, 'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.' If a single person decides that they aren't going to take marching band seriously, it affects the entire band in that their substandard performance at competitions can significantly lower our scores despite how well everyone else marched. And finally, through my four years of band, I have had the privilege and experience doing something I love for the entertainment and enjoyment of others. That in itself is rewarding enough for me to want to continue playing the flute beyond high school band.
In doing so, I not only recycled clothing that would have otherwise gone to waste in the back of a closet and eventually, the bottom of a landfill, but also the compassion of the members in my community.---Are you saying that you've recycled the compassion of people?

Just a few of my responsibilities, were instructing the freshmen, making...

Through this experience , I believe one of the most important things I've learned is simply that patience is vital.

... the band better as a whole, but it helps to avoid needless tensions and conflict.

I also experienced first-hand, how, as the saying goes, 'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.'

I hope this helps!! Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Band Team Leader' - participation in extracurricular activities