"I'm a Barbie girl, In a Barbie world..." - RISD, personal passion or obsession

libranaruto 1 / 1  
Is there something you love, have to do, can't stop thinking about? Write about a personal passion or obsession other than visual art or design.

"I'm a Barbie girl, In a Barbie world..." was the first thing that popped up on my mind when I saw the word "obsession". Like many girls, Barbie has been an obsession of mine ever since I was little. But there was something in these 4inches human like dolls than just a fair collection of pretty plastic figures.

My first encounter with her was at the age of 7 when my dad bought home a small but uniquely designed pink box. In it was a beautiful blond girl, along with a meticulously crafted hair comb and hair spray bottle. I named her Sherry, who later became my bedside friend for many years.

My collection of Barbie products kept on expanding. Soon there was kitchen, separate bedrooms, swimming pool, changing room, dinning room, and even a Ferrari and a jeep added in this Barbie Kingdom. Sherry had many friends, and even a boyfriend named Ken. Many countless afternoons I have spent in my Barbie room creating plots and characters. In this pink kingdom, she eventually married Ken after some betrayal, internal struggles and the classic love triangle.

As my interpretation of beauty started to take shape, I started to appreciate Barbie dolls as intricate artifacts as opposed to just toys. Even today the fad for Barbie has not changed. Each Barbie dolls has unique eye colors, shapes, and sometimes even the shape of their eyelashes. The print on their undergarment varies from polka dots, to lines, to printed florals. As of fashion, Barbie's clothing also leads the trend and reflect the most up-to-date style. Decisions like either to use zipper, velcro, or button to zip the clothes are made after considering practicality and aesthetic appeal. Detailed lace, metallic beads, and the variety of accessories enhance Barbie's outfits to a high-end couture style. Every piece of clothing is tailored with excellent craftsmanship and to fit so that they slip perfectly on to Barbie's body.

For over 50 years, Barbie has been the symbol of universal beauty and the idol of every girl since little. It stands for excellent craftsmanship, current fashion, and dedication of innovation and change. Every once a while, I still look at my collections and recall memories from my childhood. Barbies also represent the process of my maturity and growth, my mistakes and first times. But all in all, I am just a girl who happens to hold on to the innocent dream of my childhood.

Is this too simple and should I right something more meaningful (that makes me sound smarter?)
ajit88rai 22 / 188 3  
Great one...some minor errors are there.but those can be neglected...I think you are already smart enough barbie girl...a really good essay and very descriptive too...enlightened me also about Barbies... lol... good luck and I really loved this essay...
OP libranaruto 1 / 1  
lol thank you so muchhhhh I feel so much more confident about my essay now!:)))
"I'm a Barbie girl, In a Barbie world..." was the first thing that popped up in my mind when I saw...

Like many girls, I had been obsessed with Barbie has been an obsession of mine ever since I was little. But there was something more in these 4-inch human-like dolls than just a fair collection of pretty plastic figures.---I made many changes here. Try to see them all!

As my interpretation of beauty started to take shape, I started to appreciate Barbie dolls as intricate artifacts as opposed to just toys.---Oh, wow, some of your sentences are so beautifully written.

Each Barbie dolls doll has unique...

the ending is very, very good.

Home / Undergraduate / "I'm a Barbie girl, In a Barbie world..." - RISD, personal passion or obsession