'A Beans' Worst Nightmare - Lima Beans- uc #2

dmatano360 2 / 7  
This is my first draft, so it might be a little rough. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! For instance i worry that it might be too abstract and confusing. Also I could use some help on strengthening my conclusion. Thanks in advance!

"Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?"

A Beans' Worst Nightmare

It's was the taste. The gritty, paste-like insides that made my stomach squirm like an enraged eel. I hated Lima Beans. Who could blame me? As a 5 year old, I had experienced the wonderful world of chocolate far before I knew that it was even possible for anything green to be edible. After that first mind blowing bite, chocolate soon was all that mattered. Although it seems ridiculous to me now, as a child I had once even demanded that there be chocolate with every meal. So it was no surprise that my parents received a full scale rebellion when, expecting a candy bar, I was given a side of gross green objects that only aliens would find appetizing. I admit; I was a rude little 5 year old. Nonetheless I was steadfast in my refusal to eat Lima Beans. A life with those vegetables just seemed impossible.

Life however, doesn't like the word impossible. As I matured from that rude little child, I discovered what my parents had meant - people don't always get their chocolate. As a gay teenager this became painfully apparent. Obviously, growing up wasn't easy. The wars I waged with my ADHD and the incessant bullying made my life miserable. I soon realized that life was chalk full of challenges. Understanding this and that the problems wouldn't just go away, as well as fed up with simply closing myself off; I soon developed the determination to confront and overcome the obstacles that were taking over my life. It is through this determination that my life has been defined.

Today, I love my metaphorical Lima Beans more than any chocolate ever conceived. Whether it is starting each day at 4:30am and riding the hour long city bus to school, rigorous AP classes or social stigmas; my determination has allowed me to learn that the benefits of fighting through life's challenges are far greater than simply avoiding them. I know life will always have its challenges. That is something that won't change, what can change however, is how I confront them. This time, I know I'll be eating all the vegetables on my plate. Lima beans, be warned.
Guest /  
I think it's a great story:) But I'm not sure you answered the part "makes you proud". Oh, and it's "it was the taste", but that's probably just a typo.

Home / Undergraduate / 'A Beans' Worst Nightmare - Lima Beans- uc #2