"I became proud of being Turkish" - Michigan State - Diversity Essay

Editor1010 9 / 33  
" Where are you from?" I always didn't love answering that question, I grew into loving to answer it. I now love surprising people with my proud response, " Turkey." Growing up I called myself an American. I was a young child when I realized that something was missing. I knew I was Turkish, but I could not write or read and had difficulties speaking the language. Upon realizing this I felt out of place. I was a Turk, but besides my last name there was nothing that showed this. That year I taught myself how to read and write, the alphabet being the same it was not that difficult. I began to watch Turkish movies striving to expand my vocabulary. Something was missing. Finally after four years of not going to Turkey, my parents surprised us with a trip. We packed our bags and flew to our country. I had butterflies in my stomach the whole way, after a long 10 hour flight we finally arrived. I looked around at all the people that's when I felt I finally belonged somewhere. Being in this different country, it was amazing to see a world I had seen so long ago. The people were so different, the interactions people had were so unique. That summer was amazing I felt like I grew so much. That was the summer I became proud of being Turkish. I came back to America telling people about all the adventures I had. This opened my view to the whole world. I was young but realized that there was such diversity in our world. Everywhere I went I realized that there was different people, different skin colors, hair colors, and different styles. I soon realized that even in my own classroom there was such diversity, and everyone had a special background to them. Being Turkish has taught me so much in this point of view. Being from a different country has taught me to love those of different ethnicities and to never judge anyone by the color of their skin. Nothing will get in my way of working with others, I will make sure to succeed and will go past any obstacle that comes in my way.
I was a Turk, but besides my last name there was nothing that showed this.

You should use paragraphs when you write. End the first paragraph after this sentence.

I had butterflies in my stomach the whole way, and after a long 10 ten-hour flight we finally arrived.

I looked around at all the people; that's when I felt I finally belonged somewhere.

... I became proud of being Turkish. (end the paragraph here).

I came back to America telling people...

You write well, but it is important to avoid run-on sentences: Nothing will get in my way of working with others, and I will make sure to succeed and will go past any obstacle that comes in my way.

You can use a conjunction or a semi-colon to fix any run-on sentence. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "I became proud of being Turkish" - Michigan State - Diversity Essay