"to become acquainted with you as a person and student" - Personal Essay

miranda 1 / -  
This personal essay helps us become acquainted with you aas a person and student.

Please provide a statement (250 words minimum) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives youhope to achieve.

Turning dreams into reality should be everyone's goal in life, yet a majority of students enrolled in college have no idea why they are going other than "it's the appropriate thing to do". Well I'm not one of those students. I have had my profession and goal chosen since I was in kindergarten. I want to be the best teacher a person can possibly be and be a positive role model that will make a difference in many kids lifes. Every child has the ability to learn, but it takes an extraordinary teacher to bring this ability out. I want to have the opportunity to be that kind of teacher.

Moving to the City of Rochester and leaving the comfort of my family and community that I lived in my whole life to attend college was extremely fearful yet exciting for me. I have been challenged with the stress of working a part time job, learning how to manage money, keeping up my apartment and maintaining my academic achievements. It unquestionably has made me a stronger person.

During these last two years I have had the opportunity to view greater visions of my future and confirm that teaching is truly my passion. I will be graduating this spring with an Associates degree from Monroe Community College. As life progresses in steps, I believe that I am prepared to take on my next step at a four-year college. The first and foremost reason where I choose to transfer to will be for its academics. It will be necessary for me to transfer to a college that has a reputable and outstanding Childhood Education Program where I can complete my Bachelor's degree and then continue to achieve my Masters Degree. My secondary reason for which College I choose to apply for will be for its environment. After visiting your college I found it to have all the traits I'm looking for. With this being my most important decision, I am totally committed to the choices I have made. Please consider my acceptance into your college to help me achieve my dream and goals.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated!
linmark 2 / 328 7  
oops, Sheila (or is it Miranda?) Forgot to correct this

in many kids lifes LIVES.

should be "make a difference TO CHILDREN'S LIVES" or to the lives of children...
Maybe easier to just end it after "make a difference."
Turning dreams into reality should be everyone's goal in life, yet a majority of students enrolled in college have no idea why they are going other than "it's the appropriate thing to do".

This is an important observation. It's a little presumptuous to say that you know how most students are, though, so you might want to revise so that it says, "My adviser pointed out to me that most students..."

This is relevant to some discussions I have had with Linmark lately, too!

I think you should not mention that you made the decision in kindergarten. It is much better to say the idea has been developing since grade school. To say that you stuck with an idea you had when you were 5 is not as impressive as saying you have been working toward this for, say, 8 years. It is a subtle difference! :-)

Near the beginning, I think you need to add some sentences about your teaching philsophy, your ideas about education reform efforts that have been made recently, and so forth. If you claim to be different from other students in teaching programs, prove it by discussing issues that aspiring teachers discuss. Google:

education reform major issues.
Also google:
philosophy of education

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "to become acquainted with you as a person and student" - Personal Essay