'become a globally great engineer' - Why I want to study engineering and why at Duke

Simone94 1 / 1  
Prompt: Discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke.

Throughout my life I was always the girl that loved to do things that others my age hated. For example, when I was younger I loved watching wheel of fortune and who wants to be a millionaire. Also I loved to do math and solve puzzles more than anything. Most kids would rather go outside and play but I would prefer to sit in the house and solve Sudoku puzzles or do math books. These things now define who I am. I love to work through and solve difficult problems. That's one of the main reasons I want to become an engineer. In addition, while being an engineer I get to use my creativity while doing interesting work. Personally I could never see myself doing the same job everyday for years and years. With engineering there would be a new task everyday and I can use my creativity and my knowledge to complete those tasks and solve problems. Moreover in the engineering field there is a large gap between the female and male population. I feel that my presence would add to the diversity of the field. Additionally, working in the engineering field would keep my mind sharp and me abreast on global issues. Also I would always be challenged, which is something that is important to me. It's important to me because for me if something is too easy or simple I lose interest in it, but with engineering there is always a challenging problem that I can solve. In the engineering field I can also accomplish some of my personal goals such as traveling. With engineering I won't be stationary and I will be exposed to many new places and cultures. Moreover, I know that when I grow up and am out on my own with a career, I want to live pleasurably. Thus, I will need a job that can support my lifestyle financially and I'm sure that my field of engineering that I'm interested in-petroleum-can do that.

I would like to study engineering at Duke because its Pratt School of Engineering would provide me with everything I would need to become a globally great engineer. They would be successful at doing this through hands on learning environments and study abroad programs such as Duke Engage. These experiences would challenge me to look at global issues from multiple perspectives and teach me how to handle these issues successfully. Duke also offers opportunities for me to have independent studies research projects. This will allow me the opportunity to figure out and solve problems on my own and gain experience in my field.

In addition to its great engineering department, Duke offers multiple ways of me to get involved in the global community through things such as service projects, which are important to me as a Christian human being. Service gives me the chance to use everything that I have obtained through schooling and personal experiences for the betterment of others. Moreover, Duke fulfills my desire to attend a school with lots of school spirit. As a Duke student I would have nothing short of pride for my school. Duke satisfies my need for educational, spiritual, and social growth through its excellent campus and programs.
Throughout my life I was always the girl who loved to do things that others my age hated.

For example, when I was younger I loved watching W heel of F ortune and WhoW ants to be a M illionaire.

Personally I could never see myself doing the same job every day---'Every' and 'day' are 2 words here--- for years and years.

With engineering there would be a new task every day and I could use my creativity and my knowledge to complete those tasks and solve problems.

Additionally, working in the engineering field would keep my mind sharp and me abreast of global issues.

Good essay! I think you use the word 'engineer' many many times, but other than that, it's fine. Good luck in school and have fun!

:)
OP Simone94 1 / 1  
Thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for. Surprised I missed really easy and obvious errors. Are there any suggestions on how I could possibly decrease the amount of times I used the word engineer?

Home / Undergraduate / 'become a globally great engineer' - Why I want to study engineering and why at Duke