"to become a journalist" - Why Columbia

Shandana 4 / 12  
Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why:
1500 characters

It would not be honest of me to start this essay with anything but Columbia's attractive location in New York City. The prospect of studying at a fine institution in the heart of one of the world's most exciting cities would be a dream come true. My ultimate career goal is to become a journalist, and I am certain that the quality of education offered at Columbia will endow me with the skills necessary to become a successful one. I have been researching 'The Core Curriculum' of undergraduate studies at the University, and am convinced that it will offer me a breadth of knowledge and understanding of current affairs while helping me develop the insight and communication skills that every journalist needs. The prospect of attending a university where leading intellectuals, newsmakers, and shapers of policy are guest speakers is an exciting prospect for an aspiring female journalist from a country with a complex relationship with the USA. The most appealing aspect of Columbia for me is the manner in which the university embraces viewpoints that go against popular opinion in order to allow students to form their own conclusions. Inviting President Ahmadinejad to speak was a controversial decision, but one that the University did not shy away from. It is this diversity, not only in terms of students and their cultural backgrounds, but also in terms of thought and ideology, that makes me aspire to be a part of Columbia's student body.
lightoftheeyes - / 7  
As a senior also applying to Columbia, I wish you the best of luck. =]
Now, with this essay, I see fluff (extra words) and grammar errors.
The first sentence can be merged into the second, and the first sentence is awkwardly worded. Try:
The prospect of studying at Columbia in the heart of New York City (fyi: Columbia is Morningside Heights across from the cultural side of Harlem) would turn a dream into a reality.

Overall, good content, and with "become a journalist" - elaborate on that. For what newspaper or magazine? What field of journalism? Investigative? Political? Medical?
gotchr15t 4 / 4  
For these Why columbia prompts? do they like creativity or do they prefer more of a straightforward answer because I'm kind of confused...
basketball 7 / 35  
Creativity is always better because it makes your essay become unique

It would not be honest of me to start this essay with anything but Columbia's attractive location in New York City. => I don't know this is necessary or not because there are a lot of schools in New York city.
OP Shandana 4 / 12  
Thanks [:
I'm going to submit it today...I'm quite nervous

Home / Undergraduate / "to become a journalist" - Why Columbia