'Becoming a book editor' - STANFORD - Intellectual Vitality

swimnswing 1 / -  
Hey guys! This is my essay for the Stanford supplement.
"Stanford students possess and intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development."

The day finally came when I felt like my family looked at me and no longer saw me as a little kid. It was not when I first packed my own school lunch or learned how to drive on my own. No, this rite of passage was when my sister, three years older than me and already in high school, asked me to edit her paper. I sat down with her paper, an essay on a subject I would not be taught for years to come, and I got down to business. As I read through her work, marking out words here and there and reformatting sentences so that they flowed more smoothly together, I realized that this was something I understood. This was something I was good at. When my sister came home with an A+ grade, I felt a tiny glimmer of pride inside. My sister earned her grade, but I knew that I helped in a small way.

This is what led to my dream of being a book editor. My goal is to be able to assist authors with their dreams of putting their words into print for the rest of the world to read. I do not wish too change what the writer writes, but instead I desire to simply help make the story just that much better. I do not claim to be an incredible writer. I know that I would not be able to write masterpieces such as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. However, I do believe that those masterpieces would not be the same if J.K. Rowling and J.R.R Tolkien had not had editors critiquing and shaping their work. And that is what I would like to do someday. I would like to be a part of the process that forms the literature masterpieces of the future and in a small way help to leave an impact on the lives of those who read them.

Feel free to criticize whatever. I am wondering whether it makes sense and answers the question? Thanks :) and if you need me to look at yours don't hesitate to ask!
maianh94 6 / 18  
the "just that much" contrasted with the "simply," but thats just my opinion.

yes, please look at mine!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Becoming a book editor' - STANFORD - Intellectual Vitality