'"Beep, beep" - (Apply Texas) Mr.Bishop- someone who has impacted my life.

kimboit23 1 / -  
Write an essay about someone who has impacted your life, and why this person is important to you.

"Beep, beep." It was the sound of the monotonous, ear defining alarm clock that had collected dust after being abandoned for two and a half months. As I rose from my bed, I contemplated to myself what was yet to come. Lingering thoughts from older peers attempted to haunt me with the assumption that junior year would be the hardest year of my life. Little did I know that someone special would be there to help me along the way- to make my so called "hardest year" a year to remember. Someone that would make an impact on my life. Someone I would come to call Mr. Bishop.

Junior year was marked with long sleepless nights, never ending pages of homework and hours of continuous rigorous studying, but I was motivated. Although there were times when I thought I had reached rock bottom, I thought about Mr. Bishop and the times of his high school years when he took the initiative to teach himself the curriculum his teachers purposefully failed to teach. There were days when I questioned the sincerity of my teachers, but then I thought about Mr. Bishop and the extensive hours of hard work he performed to ensure that we received the best education. There were days too that I felt that I had to give up my self identity and become someone I was not to be loved, and then I thought about Mr. Bishop, a math teacher who wore the same blue buttoned up shirt, black pants with a silver line sewed on the back of both pockets, and black shoes everyday and was still loved for the individual he was.

I never knew the true meaning of compassion and dedication, but after meeting Mr. Bishop it was clearly revealed. The impact that this once stranger embraced upon me like a mother does to her new born baby, changed my life forever. I no longer continued to live a selfish, conceited life thinking the world revolved around me, but was influenced to become an individual who could impact another human beings life. It was for Mr. Bishop that I accepted to give up a month of my summer to tutor students.

Tutoring students was not only a job, but an opportunity to make an impact on other individual's life as I aspired to do in the medical field as a Pediatrician. Even though waking up at 7 am seemed like a punishment, the great sense of accomplishment that I achieved at the end of everyday was an award. "Welcome class, I am Mrs.Harwell and this is Kim, a student tutor who will help you with any Biology or Chemistry questions you may have." Day by day, I became closer to the students and felt the bonds and connection continuously strengthen. The times that they needed help, I was willing to do whatever it took to ensure they succeeded. I would even stay after class was over just to help students who were struggling. Once a student asked, "Why would you give up your summer to help us, don't your have better things to do?" I simply responded, "I care." It wasn't about the money, it was about radiating the love and care I had as a human being to these students who might not have had someone to motivate them or even show that they cared. It was all because of the compassion and dedication that Mr. Bishop showed to me that influenced my decision to step out into the world and impact another individual's life. I will never forget that last day of tutoring when one of the students came to me and said, "Thanks Kim, without you I wouldn't have been able to succeed."

Like the unique structure of a human finger print, none of them alike, the person who made an impact on my life was like none other. I believe that people are carefully selected and placed in our lives to teach lessons and leave footprints on our heart. For me, it was someone I came to call Mr. Bishop.
cherylfaux 2 / 4  
This is a really good essay by the way. There is only one spelling issue.

ear deafening alarm clock

Good job!

Home / Undergraduate / '"Beep, beep" - (Apply Texas) Mr.Bishop- someone who has impacted my life.