'I began learning a C++' - An admission essay to The University of Texas for Computer Science

mccoyboy22 1 / 1  
This is my first essay of two the topic being
"Considering your lifetime goals, discuss how your current and future academic and extra-curricular activities might help you achieve your goals."
Here is what i have written, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Does it need to be longer, more information, etc.

I have finally come to the decision of my life, i want to major in computer science at the University of Texas. Coming to this decision was the easy part, getting there and succeeding is what seems to be the more treacherous part. So to give myself the best opportunity for success i've taken it upon myself to do the best i can with what i have.

Recently i've enrolled in math tutoring to give me the upper hand in a subject i haven't always been the best at. I want to know the ins and outs to math so that i don't fall behind but move ahead. I realize that in the long run this will be greatly beneficial to me and will also help me when it comes to higher level math such as calculus 2. That being said it is one of the minor things that i have done to help benefit myself for success.

During the beginning of early july of 2014, i began learning a C++ from a relative of mine to start learning the basic fundamentals of programming that are the stepping stones of computer science. Recently i also enrolled into the computer science class at my high school which seems to be going very well. As i become better and better in the class, i plan to take the AP test so that i will not need to enroll in class CS 312 of computer science the first year of my college career.

Finally, i have also collaborated with a friend of mine to create small projects in the unity engine, one of the leading engines in the gaming industry. As they are mostly just small tests to practice my java programming, they have given me many problems that have put my knowledge of java mechanics to the test, giving me experience that in the future could possibly be very beneficial.

Therefore in doing these things i hope to better myself so that i may be more productive and efficient in creating and collaborating with others, as well as achieving my goals as a student in computer science at the University of Texas.
OP mccoyboy22 1 / 1  
i will fix the error "I began learning a C++"
boo2601 2 / 4  
I think you use the word "I" so much that make your essay unsmooth.
"Recently i've enrolled in math tutoring to give me the upper hand in a subject i haven't always been the best at"

Try to change it to: Having recently enrolled in math tutoring gives me the upper hand in the subject I have never been good at

Maybe it's better to read each sentence again n try to make it smoothier. :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'I began learning a C++' - An admission essay to The University of Texas for Computer Science