THE BELIEFS ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT- U TEXAS

bulletproooff 1 / -  
This is apply texas's essay A
Prompt: Describe a setting in which you have collaborated or interacted with people whose experiences and/or beliefs differ from yours. Address your initial feelings, and how those feelings were or were not changed by this experience.

Growing up I found myself opening the backdoor to see my dad smoking cigarettes. As a child, I figured it was just something adults did; however I began to worry when I noticed all the negativity surrounding the idea of smoking. Since then I had constantly mentioned how dangerous smoking could be and expressed my disgust for the scent, but every day I would see him slip out onto the back porch and pull one out. Although me and my dad's approach and beliefs toward smoking contradicted each other, it later helped me to become more receptive to new viewpoints that have allowed me to learn and consider the beliefs of others.

It wasn't until my freshman year in high school when I enrolled in health education that I discovered how toxic smoking could be to someone's future health and lifestyle. I would wait for my dad to come home every day and nag him to quit. I realize now that it probably added onto his stress, but at the age of 14 all I was concerned about was the harmful effects. Although he told me that he had already quit in order to appease me, I would occasionally see cigarette packs falling out of his briefcase. I felt as if my feelings toward him smoking weren't getting across, which made me feel disappointed and discouraged. My dad and I began to argue more due to each other's frustration, but after several months I finally stopped mentioning it. My attempts to help my dad quit were ineffective, so why would I waste my time and energy just to cause myself a heartache. Our beliefs toward smoking were so different from each other, and it made me wonder why he wasn't able to see my side of the story.

About a year later, I found out my family was having trouble making ends meet for the last several months. My dad was laid off due to the poor economy and money was very tight. Being a junior in high school, I had matured quite a bit since my freshman year. I realized I was very narrow-minded; caught up in my own thoughts, I didn't even recognize the reasons for my dad smoking. Although still harmful to his health, smoking a cigarette helped him relieve any stress he had built up throughout the day. It wasn't an addiction but an outlet for my dad, a time for him to think about how he would put a roof over my head and provide food for us on the table. I felt stupid and immature for not considering my dad's thoughts and feelings during the previous months. However, as I matured I was able to see his intentions in the past.

I can't expect everyone to share the same beliefs as me. Growing up in different backgrounds and environments can alter someone's choices. Although I still believe smoking is detrimental to someone's health and future lifestyle; I discovered that there is a reason to every situation. The differing beliefs between my dad and I have changed me to become more open-minded to various circumstances by acknowledging and recognizing their choices.

Does the essay answer the prompt?
I would just like some feedback. Thank you so much!
JAE23JAE 1 / 3  
Well in this situation you did not collaborate with him, but you did interact. So ultimately I would say you did address the prompt. I am also in a rush to complete my essays so I don't have too much time to edit it. I think you used pretty godd vocab and structure so it should be sufficient. Sorry :(

Home / Undergraduate / THE BELIEFS ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT- U TEXAS